Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2013, 10:53 PM   #1

Share |

Help with building a beam for the basement

Ok...12 foot long 8x8" oak beam that was punished a ways back by plumbers and an HVAC guy or two. Half the beam was under an old bathroom and had two 4" toilet pipes running through it; one on one side and one about 6 inches away on the other. That 6' section was rotten and cracked. I supported both sides of the beam under the joists with temp support walls. I have half of the beam gone (the bad half) and the rest of the beam is in fine, strong condition. The Beam runs from the foundation wall to the chimney and rests on each. My structural guy said 4 2x10's built into a beam would be more than adequate to support the joists that run 12' in both directions away from the beam to the sills. My questions are: Can I retain half the original beam and support the both with a butt joint over a post? I won't be able to install a full 12' beam as there won't be any room to lay it in there without tearing apart more of the upstairs than I want to so my other option would be to build a new beam and stagger the joints over a post anyway. Another question is the fieldstone foundation is far from level. Can I just use extra strong quickcrete and build up a level base on top of the fieldstone and shim if necessary? Thanks much!

Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #2

a few photos will aid you in getting proper replies

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Why not ask your "structural guy?"
Old 04-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
Why not ask your "structural guy?"
Because it's 1130pm and I figured your answers would be more entertaining.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #5
DIY staff

If you cut the beam it is no longer useful----unless you add a proper column at the end to hold it up---

So either remove it completely or work around it---it is no longer a beam--it is an abandonded useless old structural element----
Old 04-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
If you cut the beam it is no longer useful----unless you add a proper column at the end to hold it up---

So either remove it completely or work around it---it is no longer a beam--it is an abandonded useless old structural element----
I realize this. My question was is it structurally proper to butt join two beams together over a post. I'm also having trouble because the current beam is 8" wide and I cannot find any info on creating a beam that wide. I suppose I could use two beams each with 3 2x8's and just put them next to each other?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:05 PM   #7

I know it may not be as much fun, but your really should ask your "structural guy."

if you are concerned about your beam being 8" in width, you said 4-ply 2x10 which would be 4 x 1.5 = 6". you could add 1/2" plywood between the outer two plies (1") and two layers in between the center plies (1") and would add up to 8". of course it would be best to ask if this is ok from your structural guy as I do not know what their specification was for laminating the plies together.

Old 04-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
I know it may not be as much fun, but your really should ask your "structural guy."

if you are concerned about your beam being 8" in width, you said 4-ply 2x10 which would be 4 x 1.5 = 6". you could add 1/2" plywood between the outer two plies (1") and two layers in between the center plies (1") and would add up to 8". of course it would be best to ask if this is ok from your structural guy as I do not know what their specification was for laminating the plies together.
Yes. I'm getting as much information as I can to bring options to him. He's a client of mine and is very busy in the real world building large assisted living structures. So I don't like to bother him that much. Trust me, I will pass all final plans through him before I act but the more information I can bring to the table the better. I thought about the plywood. Do you have any idea of the best way to join such a beam besides glue. I could bolt it or just nail two boards together (with glue) then glue plywood to the outside and nail the final two to the outside. Any idea on nail schedule? Should I use lag screws?

thanks
Old 04-02-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Why not just replace the girder with an engineered Glulam? The "Glue" needs to be a structural glue like Resorcinol, not latex glue like elmers.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Why not just replace the girder with an engineered Glulam? The "Glue" needs to be a structural glue like Resorcinol, not latex glue like elmers.
not think enough..I need 8" to grab the joists.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #11

so you have a flushed frame beam (joists hung off the sides of the beam)? a few photos would help

The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #12
Roofmaster

Yeah, Gary is right, we need some pictures. You did not say that the joists do not cross over and rest on top of the beam, unless I missed it. You could probably build a box beam with solid bridge blocking every 16 inches or so, very strong. Your plates on top of your posts would have to be the full width of the beam and be channels.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Yeah, Gary is right, we need some pictures. You did not say that the joists do not cross over and rest on top of the beam, unless I missed it. You could probably build a box beam with solid bridge blocking every 16 inches or so, very strong. Your plates on top of your posts would have to be the full width of the beam and be channels.
YES...the beam is flush and the joists run off the sides. I didn't think they put beams under the joists back in the late 1800's. I'll look up box beam and see what I find. I'll post some pics in a bit. My concern now is getting a full 12' beam in that space..worst comes to worst I can move the furnace to slide her in.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #14

Ok..here's a couple as it goes photos from my phone. I can take more detailed images with a better camera if you need them. You can see where they put the toilet through the beam. Like I said...6 feet of the beam is still good and it would be great if I can utilize it. Rule of thumb for this house...if you don't cut a beam or joist in half for EVERY pipe or duct...the plumbing or heat won't work.