Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Help! Big Bulge in the Wall

Me and my girlfriend just purchased a house about 3 months ago, it's a ranch 3 bed 1 bath flat roof slab foundation built 1952 (great pick right!ha) first time home buyer. Anyway yesterday we noticed a big bulge in the wall of one of the rooms which we're pretty sure wasn't there before and if you stick your head to the wall and kind of look at it from the side you can see that its sticking out about 2 inches you run your hand over it and its like a little mountain. The circumference is about 2 feet wide so it's not that small and I don't believe there are any water pipes in the wall and on the other side is another bedroom, the other bedroom wall seems fine.

Any Ideas of what this could be or what could be causing this bulge?

Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks

ant7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #2
Whatamess

You may want to get someone out to look at it right away. You may have serious structural problems. If you can post some pictures it would help.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant7000 View Post
Me and my girlfriend just purchased a house about 3 months ago, it's a ranch 3 bed 1 bath flat roof slab foundation built 1952 (great pick right!ha) first time home buyer. Anyway yesterday we noticed a big bulge in the wall of one of the rooms which we're pretty sure wasn't there before and if you stick your head to the wall and kind of look at it from the side you can see that its sticking out about 2 inches you run your hand over it and its like a little mountain. The circumference is about 2 feet wide so it's not that small and I don't believe there are any water pipes in the wall and on the other side is another bedroom, the other bedroom wall seems fine.

Any Ideas of what this could be or what could be causing this bulge?

Any help would be greatly apreciated, thanks
The first question would be whether this is a load bearing wall. If so, besides bowing, are there cracks?

Bowing of the wall could be associated with warping of the wood studs behind the wall.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 04:19 PM   #4

I will try to put some pics up later today when I get home. How do you tell if the wall is load bearing and what type of person should I have look at this should I just look under general contractor, construction etc in the yellow pages?

Last edited by ant7000; 09-16-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:04 PM   #5

Ask the neighbors if the previous owners wife had ..."gone missing"?
Go ahead and cut into the wall... you or the pro you find to help will need to get in there anyway...

This might be the other bag of money from DB COOPER.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant7000 View Post
I will try to put some pics up later today when I get home. How do you tell if the wall is load bearing and what type of person should I have look at this should I just look under general contractor, construction etc in the yellow pages?
If you have access to the attic, you can see what this wall is supporting or not supporting.

In general if the wall is perpendicular to the trusses, then it's likely to be load bearing, but if you go into the attic and see nothing above that wall, then it's not load bearing.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #7

This is a Flat roof home, no attic the only thing above the wall is the roof which is made up of wood planks that I can see from the inside then of course tar and gravel on the outside or top of the house.

...oh yeah and i'm pretty sure this isn't being cause by a rotting corpse hidden in the wall but nice suggestion.

Last edited by ant7000; 09-16-2008 at 06:28 PM.

Tags
bulge, drywall, round, wall