DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Building & Construction (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/)
-   -   Help with beveling (http://www.diychatroom.com/f19/help-beveling-184591/)

kirwinjd 08-01-2013 02:57 AM

Help with beveling
 
Hi all,

Trying to surprise the wife with a garden shed and making my first attempt at framing all by my lonesome.
The dimensions are 4' W X 8'L and the roof will angle from 6' down to 5' between the 8' length.
According to the plan I downloaded, I need to bevel the roof joists so the top end is flat with the vertical joist just above the top plate.
Reason for this is so the plywood on the roof will be flat on top of the roof joists and the vertical joists. Any easy way to accurately mark the roof joist so I can measure once and cut once instead of measuring 18 times and still screwing it up?
Thanks a lot
Going through
Any

joecaption 08-01-2013 05:57 AM

Can you post the web site of the plans you down loaded? Or at least draw a sketch of what your trying to do.
Sounds like your trying to build a shed style roof, but there's no beveling needed so that's where I lost you.

MTN REMODEL LLC 08-01-2013 06:58 AM

Kirwin.... A pic sure would help.... I think we may have a terminolgy confusion here...... roof joist (rafter maybe?) vertical joist (never saw one... except maybe the time my shed blew over):huh:

If it helps...... if your slope is 12/48=14 degree or 12/96= 7 degree.... did not understand which your slope was

Best

joecaption 08-01-2013 07:20 AM

Is this what your trying to build?
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...shed&FORM=IGRE

PoleCat 08-01-2013 07:44 AM

Most definantly a job for Mr. Tablesaw. Once you figure the slope degree you set the blade and trim each rafter before installation. Unconventional approach to building a shed roof but that dosen't make it wrong.

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC
Kirwin.... A pic sure would help.... I think we may have a terminolgy confusion here...... roof joist (rafter maybe?) vertical joist (never saw one... except maybe the time my shed blew over):huh:

If it helps...... if your slope is 12/48=14 degree or 12/96= 7 degree.... did not understand which your slope was

Best

Thank you so much for the info. Really apologize for my ignorance on the terminology. I have lots to learn.

When I saw the plan calling for felt to be used for the roofing, I thought; "Am I installing a roof or covering a pool table?"



















the roofing I thought "Am I installing a roof or covering a pool table?"

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecaption

Thank you for responding: the roof is similar to the first 4 images. Just a slanting roof. I'm probably making a bigger deal than it really is.
Anyways, the plan calls for installing 2x4 rafters that will lay on top of a 2x4 18 degree angled top plate. Because I had to change the height of both the front and back walls, the 18 degree miter is not accurate. Do I even need to miter the back wall studs before laying on the top plate?
Thanks again.
If I can send a link for the plans I will. Just need to find them.

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 11:41 AM

[QUOTE="kirwinjd"]

Thank you so much for the info. Really apologize for my ignorance on the terminology. I have lots to learn.

When I saw the plan calling for felt to be used for the roofing, I thought; "Am I installing a roof or covering a pool table?"

Hi Ken:

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 11:43 AM

Please ignore the POD order info. Somehow it got pasted by mistake. So sorry

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC
Kirwin.... A pic sure would help.... I think we may have a terminolgy confusion here...... roof joist (rafter maybe?) vertical joist (never saw one... except maybe the time my shed blew over):huh:

If it helps...... if your slope is 12/48=14 degree or 12/96= 7 degree.... did not understand which your slope was

Best

Ill try to send a pic if I can find it again

oh'mike 08-02-2013 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirwinjd (Post 1224144)
Please ignore the POD order info. Somehow it got pasted by mistake. So sorry


I'll make that vanish for you-----:laughing:

kirwinjd 08-02-2013 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoleCat
Most definantly a job for Mr. Tablesaw. Once you figure the slope degree you set the blade and trim each rafter before installation. Unconventional approach to building a shed roof but that dosen't make it wrong.

Thanks a lot. That's what I'll do. I myself am not sure what conventional is which is why I'm trying to stick with the plan. As an HVAC contractor, conventional is what ever works.

jaydevries 08-02-2013 10:03 PM

if i am understand you correctly you built one wall at 5 feet and another wall 6 feet with top board (top plate) flat not angled. then you spread them apart so there is 8 feet from the outside of each wall. which would mean you have 12 in. of fall in 8 feet or what we say 1 1/2 inches per a foot. so if you do the math the angle measurement from outside to outside would be 8 feet 3/4 of an inch. do not forget to add your desired overhang first then your 8' 3/4" then your other side overhang to get overall board length.
if you cut a double birds mouth rafter ( birds mouth for each wall) 8' 3/4" apart it should sit on top of top plates of each wall.
here is in my opinion a crude video showing how to cut a birds mouth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJz14xpfng8

the first measurement he take is for overhang then were he draws up for a 4/12 angle is where you would draw a 1 1/2 / 12 angle then the next is for the seat. if you do the same thing 8' 3/4" up from where you cut your first birds mouth it should fit. test fit rafter if it fits use it for a template and mark the rest of the rafters.

i hope this makes since to you

kirwinjd 08-04-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaydevries
if i am understand you correctly you built one wall at 5 feet and another wall 6 feet with top board (top plate) flat not angled. then you spread them apart so there is 8 feet from the outside of each wall. which would mean you have 12 in. of fall in 8 feet or what we say 1 1/2 inches per a foot. so if you do the math the angle measurement from outside to outside would be 8 feet 3/4 of an inch. do not forget to add your desired overhang first then your 8' 3/4" then your other side overhang to get overall board length.
if you cut a double birds mouth rafter ( birds mouth for each wall) 8' 3/4" apart it should sit on top of top plates of each wall.
here is in my opinion a crude video showing how to cut a birds mouth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJz14xpfng8

the first measurement he take is for overhang then were he draws up for a 4/12 angle is where you would draw a 1 1/2 / 12 angle then the next is for the seat. if you do the same thing 8' 3/4" up from where you cut your first birds mouth it should fit. test fit rafter if it fits use it for a template and mark the rest of the rafters.

i hope this makes since to you

Thank you so much for your Help. I didnt have a chance to see your input until after I cut the rafters. I ended up doing it the layman's way. Cut, check, re cut, check again, cut, re check, cut again etc. once I had the first one right then I just copied the rest. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I had to improvise and adapt.
This project has given me a whole new respect for you carpenters. I don't know how you guys only have to cut everything once. I guess carpenters never get brain farts.

MTN REMODEL LLC 08-04-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirwinjd (Post 1225122)
Thank you so much for your Help. I didnt have a chance to see your input until after I cut the rafters. I ended up doing it the layman's way. Cut, check, re cut, check again, cut, re check, cut again etc. once I had the first one right then I just copied the rest. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I had to improvise and adapt.
This project has given me a whole new respect for you carpenters. I don't know how you guys only have to cut everything once. I guess carpenters never get brain farts.

To reference another thread, I can assure you the statistic on that statement is a big 0,

And I bet everyone thinks/respects that you made a smart decision in just what you did... good job...:thumbsup:

...might not be right up to speed with crap production building... but I bet its good quality...

Best


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:37 AM.