Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-22-2009, 04:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Help With a Barn

Ok I'm going to be building a pole barn for a family friend, originally i assumed they would use some form of vertical siding but they decided to go with horizontal rough cut 1x6s for siding. Now if they were going to be vertical some 2x4s up the sides to nail the siding to would be the way to go, but since its horizontal do you think it would be ok to just attach the siding from post to post (the posts will be 12 feet apart) or better to frame up a wall inbetween each post, my main concern is a horse kicking the siding and breaking it seeing as how it will only be a 1x6 covering a 12 foot span, im not sure how weak it would be in the center, also would that work structually as well to tie all the post together. One more question we plan on using 4x4 posts with a 2x4 double top plate. once again the 12 foot gap between posts has me wondering if that would hold the weight of the roof the barn is 60x24 the trusses with be 24' 4:12 with a 1 foot overhang and metal roofing , i hope all this is easy to understand and ive included all information to answer my questions, I thank you ahead of time for any input

912jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

Help With a Barn

better to frame up a wall inbetween each post, imho

DM

Old 08-23-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912jake View Post
Ok I'm going to be building a pole barn for a family friend, originally i assumed they would use some form of vertical siding but they decided to go with horizontal rough cut 1x6s for siding. Now if they were going to be vertical some 2x4s up the sides to nail the siding to would be the way to go, but since its horizontal do you think it would be ok to just attach the siding from post to post (the posts will be 12 feet apart) or better to frame up a wall inbetween each post, my main concern is a horse kicking the siding and breaking it seeing as how it will only be a 1x6 covering a 12 foot span, im not sure how weak it would be in the center, also would that work structually as well to tie all the post together. One more question we plan on using 4x4 posts with a 2x4 double top plate. once again the 12 foot gap between posts has me wondering if that would hold the weight of the roof the barn is 60x24 the trusses with be 24' 4:12 with a 1 foot overhang and metal roofing , i hope all this is easy to understand and ive included all information to answer my questions, I thank you ahead of time for any input
Code calls for 2 - 2x12 for girders of 12' (max 12' 5") for that live load and that width of a structure. (I will see if I can find you a copy of the chart)

As for the siding...I would either lathe it or the build walls in between...but if you was going to do that I would forget the poles.
Bearcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:44 PM   #4

Help With a Barn

thanks for the info on the 2x12 girders and that chart would be very handy if you can locate it.

I assume you meant that if we were going to frame walls inbetween then you would just forget about the poles which would mean we would have to pour a footer, where as if we use poles each of those would be concreted in and then maybe use some cap block about half buried in the ground as a foundation to sit the framed walls on then of course nail the sides into each pole that was the original plan. It seems to me doing it this way will save time and money since we wont have to pour a footer and it seems like it would be enough to take the load from the roof and also give us something to attach siding too. I could be completely wrong so dont hesitate to tell me i am, i have no doubt there are plenty of you on here who have forgotten more than ill ever know lol
Old 08-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

Quote:
thanks for the info on the 2x12 girders and that chart would be very handy if you can locate it.

I assume you meant that if we were going to frame walls inbetween then you would just forget about the poles which would mean we would have to pour a footer, where as if we use poles each of those would be concreted in and then maybe use some cap block about half buried in the ground as a foundation to sit the framed walls on then of course nail the sides into each pole that was the original plan. It seems to me doing it this way will save time and money since we wont have to pour a footer and it seems like it would be enough to take the load from the roof and also give us something to attach siding too. I could be completely wrong so dont hesitate to tell me i am, i have no doubt there are plenty of you on here who have forgotten more than ill ever know lol
No prob...I will try to find you that chart.

The last "pole" barn I did ws out of railroad ties. I poured a footing pillar for each tie 24x24x24 (because the ties arent tall enough) anyway...we furred it out with 2x4 then put on sheathing before we put on the cedar siding.

The ploe barn before that was made of telephone poles and van tops. All we did was set the poles, put 2x4 furring, then hang the tin.

It is a very simple way to build a barn and I would suggest it. I would pull the 12' (maybe to 8') in a little to keep the siding from being wavy. If that is not a problem...leave it and just fur it out with 2x's with sheathing then put on your siding.

Found the chart...heres the scan:

Tim

Last edited by Bearcreek; 08-23-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #6

Help With a Barn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcreek View Post
No prob...I will try to find you that chart.

The last "pole" barn I did ws out of railroad ties. I poured a footing pillar for each tie 16x16x24 (because the ties arent tall enough) anyway...we furred it out with 2x4 then put on sheathing before we put on the cedar siding.

The ploe barn before that was made of telephone poles and van tops. All we did was set the poles, put 2x4 furring, then hang the tin.

It is a very simple way to build a barn and I would suggest it. I would pull the 12' (maybe to 8') in a little to keep the siding from being wavy. If that is not a problem...leave it and just fur it out with 2x's with sheathing then put on your siding.

Let me go find that chart

Tim

the siding is just rough cut 1x6s from a local saw mill. So your suggesting to run 2x's from post to post then hang maybe some OSB and attach the siding to that rather than attaching the 1x6's directing to the posts (there wll be 2x12's on the top of posts to tie them all together plus a double top plate for the trusses to sit on)

Also 12' would be to much gap between each post? We had planned on having 12x12 stalls on the inside which was the reason for the 12 foot span as it would have been convient when framing up the inside walls, this is what they are wanting built, excuse the drawing i did it quick and on paint. But as you can see only half the width of the barn will actually be closed in with walls. So if 12' would work we could just put walls up inbetween the center poles and the exterior poles. By the way thanks you've already been a big help
Old 08-23-2009, 04:37 PM   #7

Help With a Barn

Oops clicked post to fast and forgot to attach picture my bad lol
Attached Thumbnails
Help With a Barn-barn.jpg  
Old 08-23-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

Quote:
Oops clicked post to fast and forgot to attach picture my bad lol
There are so many ways you can do this. The most important thing is you get the correct girder sizes..the rest is just personal opinion on the way you want to do the wall; whether that be building sub-walls or putting lathing on. Since you are going to be putting stalls in I would put the 2x4 walls in on one side and lath the other.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:34 PM   #9
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

One more thng...if you put 2x4 walls in between the posts..you will not need the 2x12's
Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM   #10

Help With a Barn

ok thanks and if we go without the wall and use the 2x12's that will support the load of the roof over a 12' span between post. The 8' foot recomendation was just to keep the siding from becoming wavy correct?
Old 08-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #11
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

Quote:
ok thanks and if we go without the wall and use the 2x12's that will support the load of the roof over a 12' span between post. The 8' foot recomendation was just to keep the siding from becoming wavy correct?
Yes...

just refer to the chart above if you want to alter your post distance and girder size
Old 08-23-2009, 06:42 PM   #12

Help With a Barn

alright thanks for all your help
Old 08-23-2009, 06:43 PM   #13
in deus nos fides

Help With a Barn

Quote: