Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2011, 11:04 PM   #1

Share |

Help with attaching skirting to a pier and beam house

Hi guys,I just purchased a house thats on a pier and beam foundation and the previous owner had vinyl siding installed,but whoever installed the vinyl siding ran the plywood sheathing all the way down to the ground so now we have wood to ground contact(as seen in the photo below from inside the crawlspace)Now I understand that they wanted a clean look of not having skirting which I like(as seen in photo),but it has also caused an issue in the past with termites.So my question is what can I do to keep the look of having the siding ran down to the ground while eliminating the wood to ground contact? Does anyone make a product that I can use to build frames to attach the siding to that wont rot or draw insects?I'm open to all suggestions and ideas. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Help with attaching skirting to a pier and beam house-1e-wood-ground-decay-640x480-.jpg   Help with attaching skirting to a pier and beam house-acoms-002-640x480-.jpg  

will04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Just take off the first three or four rows of siding, and get rid of the ply. The only thing you should see is the concrete foundation for the bottom 12 to 16 inches.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

I was planning on cutting away the old ply from the ground up to where it meets the perimeter beam,I was just trying to find a way to reinstall the siding or some other material so that it will cover the crawl space.I even looked at a material called faux panels(fauxpanels.com) that would have looked nice and it simulated stone,but it was going to be nearly $4'000.Which is why i was trying to find a way to reinstall the old siding but in such a way that it wouldnt cause rot or insects as mentioned above. any ideas?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by will04 View Post
Does anyone make a product that I can use to build frames to attach the siding to that wont rot or draw insects?
It’s called concrete. What you need is a foundation, there are no approved ways to bury your siding in the dirt.

That said all you can do is like what they did except use ground contact lumber for the framing and treated marine grade plywood or ridged foam for the sheathing and it will be trailerrific.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 09-07-2011 at 10:19 AM.
kwikfishron is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
Marbledust (09-08-2011)
Old 09-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #5

I would love to have a concrete foundation poured,but like many thats something that I can't afford right now.I guess I'm just going to have to have a trailerrific home like alot of other people with this issue.But I do thank you for the ground contact lumber idea for the framming.I can run my vinyl siding down it and it would look ok for now.

Last edited by will04; 09-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #6

Does anyone know what dimensions you can get the ground contact rated lumber in?I called my local homecenter and the guy I talked to didn't know much about it. Can you get it in 2x4's
Old 09-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #7
Mod

You can get 2x4 - 2x12, go to a local lumber yard they’ll know what your talking about.

You’re looking for treated lumber with a PCF of .40 or higher for ground contact. There will be a tag stapled to the end of the board showing the PCF number.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #8

thanks so much, that;s what i wanted to know
Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #9

i like old farm house that needs a fair amount of work.Having worked on many of that type house with my dad
bipin12A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #10
the Musigician

I'd simply replace the plywood that's there with Ground Contact plywood for the first 2'.
It's how I did mine here. Then paper, then 10" aluminum coil, then vinyl siding starting about 6" off the ground.

DM
Old 09-08-2011, 07:50 AM   #11
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I'd simply replace the plywood that's there with Ground Contact plywood for the first 2'.
It's how I did mine here. Then paper, then 10" aluminum coil, then vinyl siding starting about 6" off the ground.

DM
Well there ya go. I canít say Iíve never created the elusion of a foundation before.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:08 AM   #12
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Well there ya go. I canít say Iíve never created the elusion of a foundation before.
? I don't understand your comment.
If you're saying my method of construction was "unconventional", then the building inspector agrees with you. .....but it all passed...
The 6x6 post 'pole barn' style threw him for a loop I guess.

DM
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #13
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
? I don't understand your comment.
If you're saying my method of construction was "unconventional", then the building inspector agrees with you. .....but it all passed...
The 6x6 post 'pole barn' style threw him for a loop I guess.

DM
If OP was to do as you suggested from a distance it might ďappearĒ that the wall is on a foundation.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:57 AM   #14

Well I was simply looking for a solution to a problem.As mentioned above this is just something that I was wanting to take care of due to the house being prone to termites, which was my main concern.Like I said if I had thousands to pour in to a cememt foundation wall that would be my first choice, but for now I'm just looking for away to fix it and still make it look nice at the same time and thanks Dangermouse for the idea, I think for now thats what im going to do. That will keep the same look it has now only all the wood will be rated for ground contact.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #15
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by will04 View Post
thanks Dangermouse for the idea
No problem, I think it's your best bet without tearing the whole thing apart and starting over. Let us know how it turns out!

DM