DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Help and advice for the following example is greatly appreciated.

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  Cruizer 
#1 ·
I have the following set concrete posts in my yard. They reach 20" above grade and are 42+" below grade. For the following span, what kind of connectors can I use for the beam to concrete post connection? I tried finding the connectors in the pic displayed below but my google skills failed me. I also have a question about how to connect the beams at midspan specifically. I was thinking about using Strongtie's ABA44Z since the posts already have J-bolts installed and also bolting the beams together at midspan. ABA44Z appear to be strictly a base connector for a post so that idea seems uncertain. Any help is greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
No worries. Build your beam as shown on page 6, figure 4. I use a laminated beam (2- 2x's with 1/2" pressure treated plywood sandwiched between). Before the joists are installed, I use self sticking window flashing on top of beam to keep water out of the "sandwich".

As for the splice, 1 beam on each half of the base, then shoot a few nails to hold them together. No special requirements here. The joists will hold everything straight and together.

Make sure you use the recommended fasteners with the post bases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.