Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:33 AM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Hillman
Share |

Hello People, New Here and have a question

I bought a repo home in a remote area of Northern Michigan that I plan to live in. The partial basement is 24' 4" long and 18' 8" wide. The center support beams are approximately 11' from the right hand wall in the picture. There are two support posts in the basement. I would like to move one support post 44" to the left with an I-Beam under the Support Beam. I would then support the new I-Beam in the walls. I will cut the floor and pore footings to support the new posts. This is a single story structure with bedrooms above, 8" ceilings and a roof. I am sure this is doable. What size I beam would I need? Is this my best option? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Hello People, New Here and have a question-basement.jpg   Hello People, New Here and have a question-back-home.jpg  

Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillman View Post
I bought a repo home in a remote area of Northern Michigan that I plan to live in. The partial basement is 24' 4" long and 18' 8" wide. The center support beams are approximately 11' from the right hand wall in the picture. There are two support posts in the basement. I would like to move one support post 44" to the left with an I-Beam under the Support Beam. I would then support the new I-Beam in the walls. I will cut the floor and pore footings to support the new posts. This is a single story structure with bedrooms above, 8" ceilings and a roof. I am sure this is doable. What size I beam would I need? Is this my best option? Thanks
What size beam you will need is also effected by what is above it (what it is supporting for a load on the floors, walls, and roof above it), not just the dimensions of the floor/wall areas. You should get the dimensions and info. and see if the place that you purchase the beam from can 'size' it for you based on the information you provide about the loads and dimensions...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:31 PM   #3
Handyguy

Send a message via Skype™ to Brik

Would it be reasonably safe to assume a beam the same size/material as whats there now? And, same size post. In other words, if I understand correctly, replace a post with a beam and two posts. I'm asking the question, not making a recommendation.
Brik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brik View Post
Would it be reasonably safe to assume a beam the same size/material as whats there now? And, same size post. In other words, if I understand correctly, replace a post with a beam and two posts. I'm asking the question, not making a recommendation.
I say get it 'sized' because that is the easiest and the safest way to get it figured out. When ever we have to replace a beam, build an addition & need a ridge beam dimension, Rip out a header and replace with a smaller width header, etc..

We just call our local supplier of the steel or the lumber and they figure it out and put it on paper (The calculations that show it is structural right for the load)....

That way:
a.) You are well within your safety zone.
b.) You have proof for the building dept./inspector that it is an 'approved' dimension for your use.

(Last addition we did, we had to have (provide):
an engineer's stamp for the overall structure and approved calculations for every single LVL header/beam that we installed....

Generally every supplier we have ever purchased structural: Beams, Trusses, or Engineered lumber from - has the abilty to figure out the 'size' structural member that you need lickity-split...once you provide the dimensional and weight information. (They have a computor engineering program that they do it with)
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #5

Send a message via MSN to Hillman

Thanks Guys, I am talking about a steel I-beam and not wood or laminate. I will get with the lumber yard and see if they or their supplier can size it. Alro Steel is about 25 miles away also. The load bearing wall runs along this main beam so I want to make darned sure the I-beam is the sized right.
Hillman is offline   Reply With Quote