Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 12:05 AM   #1

Share |

Hello new here. Small terrarium project.

I'm not sure if this is where to post it. It's a weird question so please bare with me. I'm into unique projects and I was thinking of making a formicarium(or as people know it= ant farms), and I'm wanting it to look somewhat like this:

The tunnels and such are made out of plaster. Well that's what I'm trying to make it as. I'm wanting to try a custom built "terrarium" where I get glass panels myself(so I can get some stronger and clearer glass). I'm wanting to put as the base something else rather than glass. Is there anything that is basically indestructable, water resistant(I mean like water wont hurt it or it won't leak or anything--- its not going to have water but ill explain that later).

I'm going to make the nest out of plaster and carve out all the tunnels and such myself(it's quite known for people that are enthuastic about ants to do plaster molds).

I already have my queen, and she already laid a small batch of eggs. She has two workers currently. So it'll be fine while she's in the testtube for like a month or so. But i'm hoping to get this done before then or by then.

I need to then build an "outworld" which basically connects the subterranian nest up to the "outworld" which is basically the foraging grounds. I need the plaster to be mold/fungus resistant. Pretty strong and lighter than cement(i'm not superman so strength isn't my forte-- I can lift heavy objects but I prefer not to).

I need the lid to be tight fitting. So I'm hoping to get some rubber to be put into the glass lid which will fit extremely snug into the custom built tank. It will have some air holes which will be covered by either cheese cloth or some kind of mesh and a large layer of cotton balls or something.

My question is. What would you guys suggest for the plaster? I hear plaster of paris is good. Can it be mixed in with sand? So I get a rough/sandy feeling to it? I need the ants to be able to stay in, and not get out. Because the queen is a carpenter. And although they are slow growing(only making 10-20workers in one year, and so forth), they are still "pest" species. I like these because they are larger than other ant species available.

I do not want to do the normal sand and glass sheets glued together formicarium because they're not too creative and I rather see an actual nest. Even if its made out of plaster or something. The outworld I'm using either sand or dirt. I prefer sand because it's light colored. I'm not sure if there is anything that can prevent the ants from climbing the glass without any pesticides or anything that will kill or harm them.

Sorry for the weird question. I know how to care for them. It's just the project I'm trying to make is quite tricky.

ConcreteThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

The Ant Farm and Myrmecology Forum Forums

Well,don't you just love the internet! There is a forum just for ant farms!!

I can't help you on the plaster mix but I'll bet someone else can----Mike----

Old 08-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The Ant Farm and Myrmecology Forum Forums

Well,don't you just love the internet! There is a forum just for ant farms!!

I can't help you on the plaster mix but I'll bet someone else can----Mike----
Sorry. I know theres a formicarium forum. but I want to know on the products and such. I know already about them. Just looking for the info on certain products.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
DIY staff

Sorry---But on the bright side your post is on top again!!
Old 08-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Sorry---But on the bright side your post is on top again!!
xD yes. thank you. I just need help understanding some of the basics of these.