DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Height of Fence = Height of Posts Necessary

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Dallas 
#1 ·
I bought a house recently with a nice pool out back. However, the lot is in a bit of an incline and I cant stand the fact that there is only a 6' fence around it. Not much privacy as all neighbors can see into our backyard.

Anyhow, it appears that the existing 6' fence has been there for about 5 years with galvanized posts of the same height kept stable by concrete.

My question is, do the posts have to be the same height as the fence? I would like to replace existing fence with an 8' fence but am wondering if I can use the existing 6' posts that are currently there. NOTE: pretty side of fence is facing out.

I would hate to go through the trouble of placing 8' posts and removing existing 6' posts if I didn't have to.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the reply, gregzoll.

My city ordinance does allow the 8' ft fence. Too bad they dont allow anything taller than that, haha!

How would you recommend using the lag bolts? I am trying to picture how that would work. Any information would be appreciated.

I had to replace a 10' section of the fence on side of house and used a 10' post burying it 2' in cement. I know this is accurate for the 8' fence but wonder how deep the remainder 6' ft fence posts are buried. The posts that were previously used for the side of house were wood only buried about 4"(wonder why it came tumbling down) but the remainder of the fence have galvanized posts buried in cement. I would hate to compromise the existing posts by digging to find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.