Heating And Cooling In An Attic We Are Going To Finish - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Heating and cooling in an attic we are going to finish

We are looking to finish our attic into a play room and space for my husband (but they will be open to each other, with an opening about 6 feet wide. Because it's 3rd floor I think that continuing the (propane) baseboard heating up there may be really expensive. We were going to look into a mini split ductless system, but I'm not sure if we can use that for heat since we're in coastal southeastern Massachusetts (too cold?). Any recommendations on a a good combination of heating and installation cost/efficiency?

Thanks.

Advertisement

Lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,946

They do make mini-splits that also are Heat pumps. Otherwise, Electric Baseboard heat for Winter, regular mini-split for the Summer. Cost for both, would probably break even just putting a HVAC split unit for heating and cooling that space. Alpinehomeair.com can give you an idea between what both system types would cost.

Advertisement

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks. We live in New England (south shore of Massachusetts). Is it too cold to use a minisplit system for heat also? I seem to be coming across conflicting answers right now...
Old 01-11-2011, 12:38 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,946

It would be no different then using it here in the Midwest. Keep in mind, that you may have to use baseboard Electric heat to help when the min-split is unable to keep up.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,650

Some guide lines for the attic conversion that may be helpful; http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...1txlzU01V4JQIg

Gary
Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #6

Thanks! It's a walk up, 4 windows (2 dormers and 2 on each end), taking up the whole footprint below (24X36) before accounting for lost space due to roofline. I'm pretty sure we're good to go in terms of it being habitable...

Advertisement