Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Header size for pass-through window in small townhouse?

Hello,

I'm trying to determine what size header I need for a pass through window that I am building. The house is a townhouse that is only 17' wide. The opening will be 5'4" wide in the middle of this 13'6 wide wall. There is already one doorway in the wall. The wall runs parallel to the front/rear walls of the house and is more or less in the middle. Also, this is on the main level; there is a level on top and a garage below.

I did my best to draw it out so that it makes sense. The pass through will be in the middle of the red wall.

I'm thinking 2x8 should be sufficient. Does anyone have any advice otherwise? I've never done this before...

Thanks!

Last edited by bennecc; 02-09-2011 at 10:30 PM.
bennecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
Contractor - Renovations

Is there a wall or columns on the floor above supporting roof loads?
or is this only supporting the upper floor?

Looks like a point load next to the door?
.::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
::.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

Fungku,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of the answer to your questions though.

There is a wall upstairs that I believe is directly on top of the wall with the pass through. There is also another wall parallel to that one about 12' from the back of the house (towards the top in the image I drew). The gable ridge is going in the same direction as these walls; as it is an attached townhouse I was thinking the roof would be supported by the front and rear walls and maybe the common walls with the units on either side.

I'm not sure of the answer to the point load question is either. How could I tell?

Thanks for your help!
bennecc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 AM   #4
Contractor - Renovations

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennecc View Post
Fungku,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure of the answer to your questions though.

There is a wall upstairs that I believe is directly on top of the wall with the pass through. There is also another wall parallel to that one about 12' from the back of the house (towards the top in the image I drew). The gable ridge is going in the same direction as these walls; as it is an attached townhouse I was thinking the roof would be supported by the front and rear walls and maybe the common walls with the units on either side.

I'm not sure of the answer to the point load question is either. How could I tell?

Thanks for your help!
Well I guess first thing would be to look under that wall if you have a basement or crawl space. Is there a beam or wall under that one?

If so, can you look in the attack that is above the wall that is above that wall? (I know that sentence is odd... it's late )

Is it (a) a Truss Roof, (b) Ridge Beam & Roof Joists, or (c) Rafters & Ceiling Joists?
(actually this would be a lot quicker if you could take photos of the roof framing and also of the location of the top of the wall from the attic perspective)

Point load is generally a bunch of studs stacked together or eng. lumber to transfer load from a point above, like bearing for a large beam, a column or post, etc.
Not really important because I assume you are not touching that part of the wall anyway, it just indicates that there may be something of interest above.
.::
::
::.

Last edited by fungku; 02-10-2011 at 04:56 AM.
fungku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:36 AM   #5

what's your wall heighth and door height of any other doors in the room, are you wanting your door heights to line up ? We usually use a 2x10 header,2x4 plate nailed to bottom for windows and doors, put straight to your lowest top plate. If its an 8 ft wall, which it looks like, then the there's no need for cripples to get you down to standard door height.
krw73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #6

While we are waiting for the pictures, here is the basics, last chart (R502.5(2); http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par021.htm

Be sure to add solid wood blocking in the floor below the jack studs to bearing wall, beam, or post below.

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bar, header, pass through, window