Header Size? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Header size?

Hi to all, I'm a new member here And like it alot.

I Have 112 inch long window on ranch house and like to add second floor. I dont know what kind of header is there I dont think would be good enough to support second story.
What kind of header it would need and with single or dbl jack stands (if you call like that) that header sits on?
Thanks.

Advertisement

Last edited by ptcamaro; 03-30-2008 at 11:12 PM.
ptcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:27 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

Header size?

That's not a straight forward answer.
Is this a simple wall with a floor load, wall load, and a roof load?
What are the dimensions of the house? Is there a center bearing wall? What will the floor be covered with? Hardwood weighs more than carpet. Will there be an attic above that? Will the attic have a floor? What style of roof are you going to add. A hiproof shares the load differently than a gable roof. What is the rise of the new roof? What part of the country do you live in? Does snow load need to be added as well?
Basically anything that you can think of needs to be part of the equation. Many local lumberyards offer load calculations for free. Give them a shot, they know all the questions to ask.

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 PM   #3

Header size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
That's not a straight forward answer.
Is this a simple wall with a floor load, wall load, and a roof load?
What are the dimensions of the house? Is there a center bearing wall? What will the floor be covered with? Hardwood weighs more than carpet. Will there be an attic above that? Will the attic have a floor? What style of roof are you going to add. A hiproof shares the load differently than a gable roof. What is the rise of the new roof? What part of the country do you live in? Does snow load need to be added as well?
Basically anything that you can think of needs to be part of the equation. Many local lumberyards offer load calculations for free. Give them a shot, they know all the questions to ask.

It is a simple wall with floor load roof load and wall load. 26x36 house , there is center wall bearing wall 36 ft long. It is in northeast. Attic will not have floors and roof is hip roof.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
I have gas!

Header size?

I added a bay window with a 90" opening (1st floor of a 2 story house tributary of 6', hip roof). I used a double 1.75x9.25 lvl header. When I pulled out the old 108" picture window, I found no header was installed. I'd guess that you would need a double 1.75x11.25 lvl header at a minimum. What size header is in there now.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:01 PM   #5

Header size?

unless your going to stack loads, meaning same size header over existing header, transfering loads down studs and cripples rather than on header
you better get an engineer or equal to spec out a header also you need a minimunm of three inches of bearing sometimes four depending on loads. do it right the first time
jason h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 11:34 PM   #6

Header size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
When I pulled out the old 108" picture window, I found no header was installed. I'd guess that you would need a double 1.75x11.25 lvl header at a minimum. What size header is in there now.
Wow there was no header and it was allright with the second floor weight?

There is 4x4 heade right now, And if I put 4X8 on top of it , it should be allright, Right?.
Or take the 4x4 out and put 4x10 and stack it with 2x4 like top plate to fill the gap?
Old 04-07-2008, 07:17 AM   #7
I have gas!

Header size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcamaro View Post
There is 4x4 heade right now, And if I put 4X8 on top of it , it should be allright, Right?.
Or take the 4x4 out and put 4x10 and stack it with 2x4 like top plate to fill the gap?

You definitely need engineered lumber for that span. Go to your local lumberyard and have them spec it. Mine does does that service for free. They will also be able to spec out the bearing.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Header size?

Your best bet, especially because you are considering adding a 2nd floor over that, is to go to a lumber yard/building supply house, that specs out dimensional lumber. Have them spec out the proper header size, and purchase the header stock from them. Have them print out their spec sheet, that shows their calculations and load info. You will need to show that to the building dept later on, when you go to add that 2nd floor. It will show them that there is the proper structural framing there, to carry the 2nd floor.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-07-2008 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 07:42 AM   #9

Header size?

Thanks guys.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,000

Header size?

While the window is 112 " long it doesn't mean that's the span. If the widow is made up of individually mulled units there might be load bearing framework between the units and a series of smaller headers over the top.
Since you need an arrhitects plans for this anyway, it should be taken into consideration when the plans are drawn up. All the first floor structure will need to be surveyed for the project.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote