Header Required For Small Opening? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2009, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Header required for small opening?

I am building my stereo components in-wall. I had to cut one stud to fit the component cabinet. This is an interior non load bearing wall.
I was wondering if a header is required?

Thanks,Rick

Advertisement

Rickcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:01 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 268

Header required for small opening?

"Required" is a relative term. It's not likely that the top part of the stud you removed would come down and smash your nice stereo equipment, but... :-) If it's a non-load bearing wall then the header you need doesn't require jack studs and all that jazz, just a 2x4 on it's side toenailed into the two adjacent studs will do the trick. Good insurance if you ask me.

Advertisement

WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote