Header Question - Doubled LVL - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Header Question - doubled LVL

Quick question... or at least it should be, right?

Framing a load-bearing wall in need of a header beam that will end up being approximately 11-feet long. I'm having a hard time finding someone that will order me a 3-1/2"x14" LVL or Microllam, for some reason. But no problem getting a 1-3/4"x14" and the price is very reasonable. The 3-1/2"x14" was overkill anyway. I'm being told it is okay to double up two 1-3/4"x14" to create the 3-1/2"x14" to do this as long as they are properly joined together.

What is the best technique for joining them? Construction adhesive between and staggered nail pattern from both sides? Staggered carriage bolts?

Input would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by scootermcrad; 10-31-2012 at 01:41 PM.
scootermcrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 02:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,032

you'll appreciate using a 2 ply instead of the 3-1/2 width. less weight to lift into place, and will have the same load bearing capacity.

each manufacturer of structural composite lumber such as laminated veneer lumber have their own attachment schedule for their products. find out from the lumber yard if it is a microlam (manufactured by ILevel) or another brand, such as Boise, LP, Rosenburg, or GP. once you know the manufacturer you can google their website and it will have that information.

if you cannot find it once you know the manufacturer post back and I'll go through my product information.

hope this helps

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-05-2012)
Old 10-31-2012, 02:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
you'll appreciate using a 2 ply instead of the 3-1/2 width. less weight to lift into place, and will have the same load bearing capacity.

each manufacturer of structural composite lumber such as laminated veneer lumber have their own attachment schedule for their products. find out from the lumber yard if it is a microlam (manufactured by ILevel) or another brand, such as Boise, LP, Rosenburg, or GP. once you know the manufacturer you can google their website and it will have that information.

if you cannot find it once you know the manufacturer post back and I'll go through my product information.

hope this helps
Perfect! Thank you! I'm not sure who the manufacturer is. I'll get the stuff in-house and then check for website tech.

THANKS! And yes, I agree. Half the weight is GOOD!
Old 11-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Using 1-3/4" x14" LVL beams is the way to go, being LVL they are already heavier then dimensional lumber so using 2 ply LVL beams will be a lot easier to install. I just installed 4- 40'x14" LVL beams which weigh 400 lbs each which was a big job. The nailing schedules for a 14” LVL beam is nail 3- 31/4” commons in every 12” and try to stager the nails to get maximum strength.
brockhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:44 PM   #5
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 150

2 ply lvls are all thats needed as long as you glue it and spike the snot out of it to laminate your fine.. a lvl that long is heavy enough for two people to try and place let lone a single..

if you did want single ply you would probably be looking at a glulam instead of lvl anyway
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootermcrad View Post
Quick question... or at least it should be, right?

Framing a load-bearing wall in need of a header beam that will end up being approximately 11-feet long. I'm having a hard time finding someone that will order me a 3-1/2"x14" LVL or Microllam, for some reason. But no problem getting a 1-3/4"x14" and the price is very reasonable. The 3-1/2"x14" was overkill anyway. I'm being told it is okay to double up two 1-3/4"x14" to create the 3-1/2"x14" to do this as long as they are properly joined together.

What is the best technique for joining them? Construction adhesive between and staggered nail pattern from both sides? Staggered carriage bolts?

Input would be appreciated!

Thanks!
the more common sizes for 3 1/2" beams are 2x8 and 2x10 sizes to match and fit in with rim joists and structural headers.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 09:10 AM   #7

Thanks guys!

I actually pulled up the info on LVL's from the manufacturer and they did indeed have a nailing schedule for 2-ply construction headers. Thanks for the tip! Got all the info I need from that! Looking forward to working with the LVL's, actually. They are making some things possible in our house that we otherwise wouldn't have considered!

Cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to scootermcrad For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,032

glad to be of assistance .....

Good luck!

Advertisement

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote