Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
DIY'er

Share |

Have you seen this before?

Here is a picture of something I uncovered at the house we are working at right now. The previous owner was supposedly a window and door installer. I hope he hasn't been to your house.

The 2x4 is supposed to be jack stud between a sliding door and a old glass door he permanently mounted. The 2x is setting on a 1x and a big wad of caulking, structual caulking I assume.

The window(door) was removed, structure repaired, all is well.

Joe
Dayton, Ohio
Attached Thumbnails
Have you seen this before?-p1010640-email.jpg  

Last edited by Joe Hammer; 12-29-2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: More specific
Joe Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:36 PM   #2

I work mainly on really old houses and see that type of pop all the time.
Slate and pieces of plate glass used as shims on top of a pier holding the main beam up.
Layers of newpaper used as a vaper barrier in an attic, cardboard or carpet used as a vaper barrier in a crawl space (the termites loved it)
Walls with no insulation in them and someone had removed the plaster, nailed up strapping and attached 5/4 pressure treated decking board to the strapping on the inside of the house.
Man asked me to install a new slidding door. When I tred to remove the door I found all of the subflooring had rotted away years ago, there was 0 wood under the sill, but there was brand new carpet in the room. He said he had the carpet installed so no one would fall through.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

yet another case of how some things just shouldnt be touched by diyers
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #4
Military Mom of 4

"structural caulking"
Old 12-29-2011, 10:15 PM   #5
Too Old

Have fun with the fix, just looking forward to seeing more pictures of the house and your repairs.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:17 PM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
"structural caulking"
Structural Caulking: Adjative: Material applied to construction to hide shabby work performed by unqualified persons.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
Snav (12-29-2011)
Old 12-30-2011, 08:21 AM   #7

Another one we worked on had built a deck right at the doors threshold level, and had sloped it so all the water ran toward the house. It had rotted out the T-111, bottom plates, and subflloor. The way they "fixed it" was to add 2 X 2's to the wall, and new crafted faced insulation that was only 1-1/2 thick, then another layer of T-111. Once that also rotted away at the bottom they added 1 X 6, primed but not painted pine and that had rotted away.
When we went inside to do some work we found the house had been rough framed and instead of finishing any of the ceiling they had just drywalled the walls and just spread drywall compound all over the bottoms of the subflooring above and all the floor joist, which were also under sized so it was falling off and cracking everywhere.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkbykirk View Post
yet another case of how some things just shouldnt be touched by diyers
Granted that I haven't seen the entire job/issue, but there is no reason why a that job could not have been done properly by a DIY. I think it would be more fair to say some DIY'ers shouldn't touch things.
Old 12-30-2011, 04:04 PM   #9
journeyman carpenter

your correct, but in my experience going to look at doors and windows that are leaking, they were installed by diyer's ive yet to see a properly installed entry door by a diyer
Old 12-30-2011, 04:27 PM   #10

And few I've seen done by "Pros" where done correctly.
When's the last time you've seen a sill seal under a sliding or french door. Most I've removed did not even have any form of flashing.
Time and time agin I see eveything from a pressure treated 2 X 4, a piece of pressure treated decking, nothing under the threshold to support it.
One I saw had James Hardee lap siding up tight againt it. Gave it no support and as soon as someone stepped in the middle it shattered.
Ever seen a brick mason add some form of water shielding before building a set of steps and stoop up tight againt old wooden siding?
Years later the siding, bottom plate and mud sill are shot and lots of times there's also termites.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #11
journeyman carpenter

very true. ive seen all that. when i install doors i use a "drip pan" made of blueskin or vycor which seals the sil from leaks and allows any water that does get in the oppurtunity to run back out. from there i install 1" thick pvc composite trim under the the threshhold to support i if not 2x pt which is flashed before the door goes in
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 PM   #12
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Structural Caulking: Adjative: Material applied to construction to hide shabby work performed by unqualified persons.
"Structural" is the adjective, it modifies the noun "caulking".

This ends our lesson for the day.

Professor Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
"Structural" is the adjective, it modifies the noun "caulking".

This ends our lesson for the day.

Professor Andy.
I wasn't good at grammer....much less spelling.....but math? Got that one nailed....along with technical stuff.....besides, being a programmer makes spelling a moot point....nothing in C or Pascal resembles normal spelling....or grammer....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Grammar...

Ha ha, just messing with you.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #15

In Oz we call it 'builder's bog". When there is a gap in the wall or roof that shouldn't be there, you can bet builder's bog comes to the rescue and blocks the gap.

I held my head in disbelief when I saw a 20'' duct from a roof air-con system entering a wall bogged with 2'' of clear silicon all round. It was like a metal duct was suspended in 2'' of jelly. The funny thing was, the builder's supervisor commented, "it's structural grade silicon and it's the same method I've used on the rest of the place".

The same builder employed "pop-rivet Pete" and "Silicon Sam", where no piece of roof was safe from pop rivets and no gap, even if 2" wide, free from Silicon Sam. Did the subbies have a perverse way of trying to impress? The silicon would have required over a hundred tubes to fill one gap around the ducts, at cost of $10 per tube, that's $1,000 in silicon. Wow, we could have had a proper damper fire proof seal around the duct for half the cost.

Add on top the cost to cut out the silicon, replace proper seals and start all over, I wonder if I made a friend or foe. Hmmm!

That's the crap architects have to put up with.

Have a good one in the New Year, and all best wishes. Joe from Oz.

JoJo-Arch is offline   Reply With Quote