Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #1

Share |

Have I Been Taken?

Here's the deal. I had a contractor aquaintance who said he could do an insulation job for me in the winter on a home I am building for seasonal use. It was to insulate a small cathederal like ceiling on a salt-box style house. There were four identical skylights to box-in as well which was done with 3/4 plywood. Size of the area was roughly 18 x 36 feet. R-38 was the insulation... 24 inch bats. All venting and insulation was previously purchased by me and I had already installed the first 2 rows of vent and insulation... basically up to the skylights. Unfortunatley, as it was the dead of winter, I was not there to oversee the project. Also... unfortunately I did not get a quote from him... nothing was signed, but he told me it would probably be in the range of 12-1400 dollars. He called me on a Friday and said they had been there 2 days and that they needed to do maybe a half day more on the following Monday. A whole week goes by and he calls me on a Monday saying they had been there the entire previous week and needed 1 more day!!
I told them to pack-up and leave imediately. I had given no authorization to stay an entire xtra week after hearing from him -that it would take only 2 and one half days.

Finally he sends me the bill and it is for 122 man hours over a 9 day period! Over 4,000 dollars! Having practically built the house myself I know a thing or two and could have done it in 2-3 days.

General consenses is that I got taken for a ride during a cold-off season work period. This comes from others working in the house. I am also told they are notorious for this. I have already paid 2600.00, but am having trouble with the rest right now. Having NEVER expected a bill of this size, it has caught me off-guard.

I'm wondering what recourse if any I have? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Bill

wBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:14 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Have I Been Taken?

Yes, sorry to say..they DEFINITELY are trying to con you. That is so pathetic.

Well, since you don't have anything in writing.... they can't demand much either. They know that they are trying to rip you off. You know that they are trying to rip you off.

I wouldn't pay them another cent. They don't have anything in writing from you either, so 1/2 the burden of 'anything' they are trying to pull....falls on them too.
I would talk to at least 2 or 3 insulation companies. If you have plans or not, draw some up and then get written quotes from them for the same job. Then, I would send a copy of the quotes to the dirtbag along with a threat to file a complaint with the state...if they didn't just take the pay and dissappear.

Chances are that he has tried to or actually has done this type of thing to other people too. This type of scum always has a long slimy trail behind them.

All I can say is, next time get it in writing, no matter how friendly they seem to be.

-My 2 cents....and my condolences...& BEST OF LUCK to you.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-06-2006 at 05:18 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:46 PM   #3

Have I Been Taken?

I can't thank you enough for your help and suggestion. I plan to follow-up with another contractor like you said. This experience has certainly taught me a big lesson. There will be nothing more done on this house without written estimates and good referances.

All the Very Best to You!

Bill
wBill is offline   Reply With Quote