Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Share |

Has anyone built a shed as an extension to their garage?

Our garage is weird... it's not a 2-car but it's very roomy. I guess I would describe it as 1.5 wide and 1.5 long. This is all very good except extra wheels, tools etc. for the car takes up a lot of room.

Lawnmower, snowblower, gardening tools, pots, bicycles etc. that's a whole diff. story.

I'd like to build a shed, but recent rainstorms have revealed that the rear wall of the garage (it's a stand-alone structure) is pretty shot. This seems like the perfect opportunity to build a shed off the back of the garage. I'm not sure I'd tear the wall down, I'd probably just replace the window at the end of the structure with a door. That way I would still have a "car area" and a "lawn & garden area".

I'm playing bingo with the a-z town departments right now, still trying to find out who the heck handles building permits but let's say they don't have a problem with it...

The garage has a poured foundation, does the shed need to have it too or can I build it out of CMU's?

ANyone done a similar project?

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:44 AM   #2

If the shed is attached to another structure it must have the same foundation depth so they move together
I have seen plenty of sheds built off of the side or back of a garage
I added an extra 12' on the back of our new garage (24x36) for more room
I added double doors to this area for easy access

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:32 AM   #3

I'm really constrained on space (tiny, city lot), so I built one alongside the house, where the driveway had some extra space.

It's great to have all the cluttery stuff out of the garage itself -- since it's only 20x22.

Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
If the shed is attached to another structure it must have the same foundation depth so they move together
Do you suggest having it poured or can I build it out of something like CMU's?

EDIT: I should re-phrase that. If code allows for both, do you have a recommendation in either direction?

Jack: I've twisted & turned it as much as I can. I love your idea, but I don't have any edge of the house where a vehicle won't pass right by.
CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #5

As Dave mentioned you really want to be at the same depth as the existing foundation. Concrete Masonry Units (CMUs) or aka concrete block can be used satisfactorily when set on a footing. But I wonder if the garage is on a full footing and foundation. I would think that current code in Connecticut is likely about 42"? below grade. I suggest you verify exactly what is beneath the garage and go see the local building inspector, typically in the first hour or so that the building dept opens up or else he will be gone in the field performing inspections. See if they are going to treat this as an addition to the garage or as a shed for which they may have less restrictive standards for.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

Is the garage attached to the house or detached ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote