HardiPlank Siding - Too Heavy? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

HardiPlank Siding - too Heavy?

I am researching Hardiplank for re-siding my home. We live in the Yukon Territory, -40 to 100 deg F swings in year are not unusual. I would like to add a Energy Shield (polyiso sheathing by Atlas) layer around my house on top the studs for a thermal break. Then I would hang HardiPlank siding. However the Heavy HardiPlank would now be a minimum of 1/2" inch from the studs holding its weight. Is this going to be a problem over time with the nails bending and the siding "sluffing"; off the house? I may want to put 1 or even 2" Energy Shield up, at what point do I have to install strapping? Yukon Dave keajohnson@gmail.com

Advertisement

Last edited by YukonDave; 06-10-2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: double apostrophe " results in &quot when I want to say inch
YukonDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would think you would need strapping with 1-2" foam insulation. Are you going to use a 3" or 4" siding nail?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #3

If the Hardiplank is not too heavy and I don't have to move/replace the window casings with the addition of 1/2" of Energy Shield (ES), I was evening willing to screw (~2" screw) the Hardiplank through the 1/2" of ES foam into the 2X4" stud. I'm not sure which is stronger siding nail or the screw. Probably the siding Nail.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Going over 1/2'' is no problem at all, Hardie has a tech bulletin out on the subject.
Northclad has a rail system that you can attach the Hardie to and install up to 4'' rigid behind it. http://northclad.com/products/knight/
rock16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:46 PM   #5

Found the tech bulletin:
http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/USTB_...s-Hardie-2.pdf
Old 06-11-2011, 08:32 PM   #6

Rock16,
Thanks for the bulletin, I'm good till 1" without extra mounting hardware.

I have a lower level pony wall that is partially below grade. The pony wall consists of ~42" high concrete (~6" thick) with conventional 2x4 framing on top. I will be excevating and adding HS-40 high compression foahm below grade. I am unsure how to transition to the conrete from the 2x4" wall.

Could you point me to a bulletin on fixing hardi-plank to concrete?

Thanks for the help,
David J
Old 06-12-2011, 12:27 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,098

I think the seismic zone you live in requires full-sheathed walls under the foam board. You want more than 1" foam to bring the dew-point temp warmer so the water vapor won't condense on the inside of your sheathing, especially OSB (if used); http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...foam-sheathing

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...ally-necessary

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...wall-sheathing

Gary
Old 06-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukonDave View Post
Rock16,
Thanks for the bulletin, I'm good till 1" without extra mounting hardware.

I have a lower level pony wall that is partially below grade. The pony wall consists of ~42" high concrete (~6" thick) with conventional 2x4 framing on top. I will be excevating and adding HS-40 high compression foahm below grade. I am unsure how to transition to the conrete from the 2x4" wall.

Could you point me to a bulletin on fixing hardi-plank to concrete?

Thanks for the help,
David J
The only way I know to attach Hardie over concrete is to strap with PT2x4 and attach to the 2x4. Or use a system like the northclad brackets.
The Following User Says Thank You to rock16 For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-13-2011)
Old 02-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #9

Thumbs up

James Hardie® products contain respirable crystalline silica, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and is considered by IARC and NIOSH to be a cause of cancer from some occupational sources. Breathing excessive amounts of respirable silica dust can also cause a disabling and potentially fatal lung disease called silicosis, and has been linked with other diseases. Some studies suggest smoking may increase these risks. During installation or handling: (1) work in outdoor areas with ample ventilation; (2) use fiber cement shears for cutting or, where not feasible, use a HardieBlade® saw blade and dust-reducing circular saw attached to a HEPA vacuum; (3) warn others in the immediate area; (4) wear a properly-fitted, NIOSH-approved dust mask or respirator (e.g. N-95) in accordance with applicable government regulations and manufacturer instructions to further limit respirable silica exposures. During clean-up, use HEPA vacuums or wet cleanup methods - never dry sweep. For further information, refer to our installation instructions and Material Safety Data Sheet available at www.jameshardie.com or by calling 1-800-9HARDIE (1-800-942-7343). FAILURE TO ADHERE TO OUR WARNINGS, MSDS, AND INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS MAY LEAD TO SERIOUS PERSONAL INJURY OR DEATH.
jemstone80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:52 PM   #10
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 174

most people know that jemstone, that is marked on the packaging

as for foam, 1/2" foam is pretty much redundant, it doesnt provide enough insulation to be worth while. 1" is your best option, 1 1/2" is doable. with 2" foam your looking at a whole other can of worms..

defiintely strap over the foam nailing it to the studs

Advertisement

woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodworkbykirk For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (02-16-2014)