Hardiplank Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,783
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Hardiplank siding


In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start residing my house using Hardiplank siding.
Currently, the house has vinyl siding over 1" of foam and then the original cedar shingles.
The sheathing is T&G planks.
I've seen several different options for how siding should be done such as:
Tar paper.
Foam board.
more tar paper.
and then Siding.

or:
Only Tyvek
Followed by siding.

The TV show "This Old House" used both tar paper and Tyvek on two different projects.

Any guidance, ideas, or stories of your siding projects would be appreciated.

Advertisement

__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
In a couple of weeks, I'm going to start residing my house using Hardiplank siding.
Currently, the house has vinyl siding over 1" of foam and then the original cedar shingles.
The sheathing is T&G planks.
I've seen several different options for how siding should be done such as:
Tar paper.
Foam board.
more tar paper.
and then Siding.
or:
Only Tyvek
Followed by siding.
Tyvek
The TV show "This Old House" used both tar paper and Tyvek on two different projects.
Any guidance, ideas, or stories of your siding projects would be appreciated.

I would advise Housewrap with siding installed over it. If you use the Hardie board planking, use the plastic clips made for installing it.

Here is a quote on roofing felt (Tarpaper) vs. Housewrap:

Many builders do not install a drainage plane at all. The builders who do often install "building paper," a sheet of asphalt-impregnated felt paper, to protect the house from exterior water penetration. Unlike house wrap, however, building paper doesn't effectively reduce air infiltration because it has many seams, while house wrap is a continuous sheet with minimal overlaps. House wrap produces a breathable, weather-resistant barrier that will reduce energy costs and prevent wind-driven rain from entering the walls of a home.

This is from this link:

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/bp_exter...463274,00.html

Remember that house wrap allows moist damp air to 'breath' and escape, while providing a barrier from water infiltration. Roofing felt, does not 'breath'. Essentially, Housewrap is a 'gortex' for homes.

Here are some more information links to review:

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/rebuild/mat/...gcc_fact23.pdf

http://www.buildernewsmag.com/viewnews.pl?id=21

Advertisement

__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,783
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Hardiplank siding


Thanks, it sounds like the Tyvek type housewrap is the easy way to do this too.
How beneficial is foamboard? Would putting the foam over the sheathing followed by housewrap and then siding work? I'm thinking maybe the foam would trap moisture. What are your thoughts?
TIA
__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
.....How beneficial is foamboard? Would putting the foam over the sheathing followed by housewrap and then siding work? I'm thinking maybe the foam would trap moisture. What are your thoughts?
TIA
Foam board would not trap moisture as it is not a rated moisture barrier. (It is usually installed in such a way as to allow air to pass thru at it's edges)

The benefit of the foam is to gain R-value in the home's walls and heat envelope. If you are at R-19 or greater in your walls, then there would be no significant reason to 'over-kill' using the foam board, in addition.

Exterior 1/2" Sheathing-
Foam board Information:

http://www.ebuild.com/products/produ...139/pageNum.10


Just in case you don't have the information already:
(Hardie Board Lap siding installation guide)

http://www.hardie.com/homeowner/inst...stallation.php
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hardiplank siding


A couple architect friends of mine are very keen on any "envelope" insulation (like foam-board) because it is much more effective in the real world than fiberglass insulation. They say fiberglass is hard to install perfectly, and after settling and thermal bridging (studs) are taken into account the performance is much lower than what is rated. Foam board on the other hand has no thermal bridging at all, and doesn't lose performance over time.

Personally, I'd add foam when residing. In our climate, and with energy prices as they are, I think insulation is nearly always money well spent.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #6
I have gas!
 
Clutchcargo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,783
Rewards Points: 1,018
Default

Hardiplank siding


Our house was built in 1925 with 2x4 construction. We are doing the inside of the house too and going from whatever insulating board they used on the underside of the vinyl to R13 fiberglas in the cavities. The 1/2" foam-board will give us an extra R-3.
What side of the house wrap does the foam-board go on? Are there any issues hanging siding through the foam other than using a longer nail? Would the siding eventually sag because it essentially is being suspended out from the wall?

We're replacing all the windows with new constuction. If you use 1/2" foamboard, I'm guessing you need to put an extra 1/2" of plywood around the windows so that you have someplace to nail the trim into and also to move the windows out an extra 1/2" to compensate for the foam. Does that sound correct?

thanks
__________________
I tear things down and build them up.
Clutchcargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
.....What side of the house wrap does the foam-board go on?
House wrap goes over the home's sheathing, foam then goes over that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Are there any issues hanging siding through the foam other than using a longer nail?
Should be none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
Would the siding eventually sag because it essentially is being suspended out from the wall?
No. Just make sure that you use the appropriate fasteners. If you are in doubt, do what contractors do, contact the manufacturer directly and ask them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
We're replacing all the windows with new constuction. If you use 1/2" foamboard, I'm guessing you need to put an extra 1/2" of plywood around the windows so that you have someplace to nail the trim into and also to move the windows out an extra 1/2" to compensate for the foam. Does that sound correct?
That depends on what you are siding with, the type of windows, etc...

Personally, I would not use foam when installing Lap siding of any kind, as that changes the way EVERYTHING is installed, from the corner boards, roof trim boards, down to the window casings.....
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 111
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I would advise Housewrap with siding installed over it. If you use the Hardie board planking, use the plastic clips made for installing it.

Here is a quote on roofing felt (Tarpaper) vs. Housewrap:

Many builders do not install a drainage plane at all. The builders who do often install "building paper," a sheet of asphalt-impregnated felt paper, to protect the house from exterior water penetration. Unlike house wrap, however, building paper doesn't effectively reduce air infiltration because it has many seams, while house wrap is a continuous sheet with minimal overlaps. House wrap produces a breathable, weather-resistant barrier that will reduce energy costs and prevent wind-driven rain from entering the walls of a home.

This is from this link:

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/bp_exter...463274,00.html

Remember that house wrap allows moist damp air to 'breath' and escape, while providing a barrier from water infiltration. Roofing felt, does not 'breath'. Essentially, Housewrap is a 'gortex' for homes.

Here are some more information links to review:

http://www.fema.gov/pdf/rebuild/mat/...gcc_fact23.pdf

http://www.buildernewsmag.com/viewnews.pl?id=21
I disagree felt paper is not a vapor barrier, air barrier or water barrier, it is only water resistant. Felt has a varying perm from 5 when dry to up over 60 when the relative humidity increases. Most vapor barriers are less than 1 perm. Also keep in mind if you want to take advantage of the building wrap as an air barrier it has to be taped including all the staple holes and when you tape the wrap you will trap any moisture which may enter behind the wrap. Im a felt kinda guy myself when it comes to walls but wraps are a good product if used correctly.

If your using some sort of exterior gypsum wall board (ie. Dens Glass Gold) I would go with the wrap and not tape it. If your using wood sheathing, go with felt. The felt will soak up any moisture that gets back there instead of the sheathing. The wrap is more prone to having the sheathing soak up any water in the wall as the wrap wont soak anything up. Just my opinion, everyone has one
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 111
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by NateHanson View Post
A couple architect friends of mine are very keen on any "envelope" insulation (like foam-board) because it is much more effective in the real world than fiberglass insulation. They say fiberglass is hard to install perfectly, and after settling and thermal bridging (studs) are taken into account the performance is much lower than what is rated. Foam board on the other hand has no thermal bridging at all, and doesn't lose performance over time.

Personally, I'd add foam when residing. In our climate, and with energy prices as they are, I think insulation is nearly always money well spent.
Thats not entirely true, rigid insulation R-Values are based on LTTR values. Long Term Thermal Resistance, because there is some degredation of the r value over time.
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgrogan View Post
I disagree felt paper is not a vapor barrier, air barrier or water barrier, it is only water resistant....
Huh?

...........No where in my Post, that was paraphrased, did I make that statement or even quote it from another source???
__________________
- Build Well -
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 09:43 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 111
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Hardiplank siding


Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Huh?

...........No where in my Post, that was paraphrased, did I make that statement or even quote it from another source???
Maybe I just misread it wrong??

The builders who do often install "building paper," a sheet of asphalt-impregnated felt paper, to protect the house from exterior water penetration
ncgrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 10:44 PM   #12
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
 
AtlanticWBConst.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New England
Posts: 7,556
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Hardiplank siding


This is the statement (That is referenced) from the source I cited in my original post:

"Many builders do not install a drainage plane at all. The builders who do often install "building paper," a sheet of asphalt-impregnated felt paper, to protect the house from exterior water penetration. Unlike house wrap, however, building paper doesn't effectively reduce air infiltration because it has many seams, while house wrap is a continuous sheet with minimal overlaps. House wrap produces a breathable, weather-resistant barrier that will reduce energy costs and prevent wind-driven rain from entering the walls of a home."


That quote basically translates to (layman's terms):

......"There are some builders out there, that install 'roofing felt' based on their belief that it will protect the house from water or moisture.
However, roofing felt installed in this way is a poor vapor barrier, because it does not provide a continuous layer of protection. However, house wrap, even with 'some' overlapping, does provide that and more.
It allows moist air to pass thru, while acting as a water and moisture (weather-resistant) barrier."
__________________
- Build Well -

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 05-17-2007 at 06:13 AM. Reason: grammer
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hardiplank siding


I have a round house and am looking for a siding product to use. I was thinking about the hardy plank. is it able to be bent to conform to a round house. if not what are some other options?
apowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 11:28 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Downeast Maine
Posts: 999
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Hardiplank siding


What's the radius you need to conform to?

Cedar shingle would be an obvious option.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Hardiplank siding


the radius is 36'

Advertisement

apowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Paint coming off of siding ciera Painting 5 07-01-2007 06:22 PM
Siding: Cement Vs. Cedar Grumpy Remodeling 5 03-19-2005 02:07 PM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 1 03-19-2005 01:55 PM
Siding: Aluminum vs. Vinyl Grumpy Remodeling 0 04-18-2004 04:35 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts