Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:07 AM   #1

Share |

Hardiplank Siding

Anybody have any good or bad experiences with this product? I heard that it needs to be repainted ever so often.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:10 AM   #2

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Anybody have any good or bad experiences with this product? I heard that it needs to be repainted ever so often.
Hardi is every where these days. It looks real nice and if you use the best paint around you should be able to get 10 yeasrs but that depends on where you are at and darker colors faid faster than lighter colors.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 12:46 PM   #3

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylh View Post
Hardi is every where these days. It looks real nice and if you use the best paint around you should be able to get 10 yeasrs but that depends on where you are at and darker colors faid faster than lighter colors.
Are builders moving towards this type of siding because it's cheaper than vinyl siding? I would think not. Or, would it up considered more for upscale homes? Also, do you know whether an R-value is associated with it?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:44 AM   #4

Hardiplank Siding

Hardi plank is being used on upper and lower end homes. I believe because it has a wood look, paint doesn't crack and peel, does not twist and curl like wood and you can get it prepainted and is relatively easy to put on and cost factor is the reason they use it mostly. I dought r-value has anything to do with it. Keep in mind I live in a mild climate without those heat and cold extremes and repainting is not done as often as extreme weather area's.. I have noticed that homes that have the Hardi quite often have cracks in the caulking a year later so if it was me I would have the siding prepainted with one coat of finish paint and then I would wait one year and recaulk and repaint 2 coats high end Ben moore 100% Acylic paint to maximise the amont of years before repaint.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #5

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
Hardi plank is being used on upper and lower end homes. I believe because it has a wood look, paint doesn't crack and peel, does not twist and curl like wood and you can get it prepainted and is relatively easy to put on and cost factor is the reason they use it mostly. I dought r-value has anything to do with it. Keep in mind I live in a mild climate without those heat and cold extremes and repainting is not done as often as extreme weather area's.. I have noticed that homes that have the Hardi quite often have cracks in the caulking a year later so if it was me I would have the siding prepainted with one coat of finish paint and then I would wait one year and recaulk and repaint 2 coats high end Ben moore 100% Acylic paint to maximise the amont of years before repaint.
That's strange that you say the Hardiplank siding isn't supposed to twist and curl (ie. thus expand) like wood, but cracks in the caulking can be seen after 1 year. Do you know whether each panel layered on top of each other is caulked, or just at the ends where the trim piece is located?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:05 PM   #6

Hardiplank Siding

Where two pieces butt togeather and anywhere else that the pieces are butted into a trim piece. Hardi moves with the climate but have not seen it curl and twist. A lot of this cracking could very well be the installers in the most part but not intirely sure all I can say is I have seen this many times. Second treatment seems to work well.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:19 AM   #7

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
Where two pieces butt togeather and anywhere else that the pieces are butted into a trim piece. Hardi moves with the climate but have not seen it curl and twist. A lot of this cracking could very well be the installers in the most part but not intirely sure all I can say is I have seen this many times. Second treatment seems to work well.
thanks.
Old 09-05-2007, 08:43 PM   #8
remodeling pro

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
As soon as you find an exterior (or interior) painted finish that does not have to be repainted "every so often" please, oh please send me a message. I will buy you a plane ticket, steak dinner, and night at the local Ritz Carlton so you can personally deliver a sample of this to me.

If you use a top quality paint and follow the siding manufacturers installation instructions, you will get al least ten years from the paint job, as suggested.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Hardiplank Siding

Quote:
I have noticed that homes that have the Hardi quite often have cracks in the caulking a year later so if it was me I would have the siding prepainted with one coat of finish paint and then I would wait one year and recaulk and repaint 2 coats high end Ben moore 100% Acylic paint to maximise the amont of years before repaint.
Can't let them use $1 a tube "painters grade" caulking. Like you say, use only the best grade of paint, and caulking also. I can't believe the number of people who use crap caulking and don't understand why everything cracks the first time the weather changes.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote