Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

Share |

Hardiplank overlay-reveal Best Practices/tips?

I'm just about ready to put these guys up. I've done my research and learned a lot. But I'd still like to get a better feel...

1) on how to ensure uniformity and yet adjusted lay/reveal for these guys. Any tips?

2) when do you use a frieze board and when don't you? Any thots? or druthers? ...and why so either way?

Thanks.

1655graff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:44 PM   #2

You can measure your reveal on each course, but I'd suggest snapping chalklines on the building paper. The chalklines will indicate the top of each piece of siding and will keep your reveal consistent. It takes time but is worth doing.

A frieze board is typically installed on lap-sided houses. It provides a good transition from siding to soffit and gives a cleaner look. I'd definately install one, but you don't necessarily have to if you don't want one. It can be ripped to a dimension that ensures that you get a full top course reveal of lap siding...You also need to rip the top piece of lap so it doesn't look wider than the other courses.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 06:58 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Right Here: http://bearclips.com/, or make your own gauge like a small "T", out of wood, with the leg of the "T" being your reveal measurement (4", or what-ever), and the top of the "T' being your straight edge, to hold agains the underside of the lap board. You would hold it upside down to automatically measure and set your next lap board.

How to make/use a story Pole: http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild.../021197070.pdf

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-23-2008 at 07:01 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 09:27 PM   #4

Thank you both.

re. the story pole... I'd read of about the "story pole" idea before with some descriptions. And it seemed to be a nice way to plan/make your adjustments and uniformity up front. But nothing quite as nice as that article and its picture. wow! IS the soffit (typically) a uniform height like the author's windows?

re. the frieze board... I guess I'm a little hesitant/been wondering how to finish at the top without a frieze board since I'm not seeing it on any of the other homes in this neighborhood. or how thin to make it so the house and trim still fits with our neighbors.

1st: Our neighborhood is a bunch of ranch style houses built mid 1950s-to-late 1970s. All the houses seem to have a finished soffit like ours and the lap siding looks like it goes all the way up to the corner between the soffit and the wall. But that then gets me wondering about how weatherproof and how they weatherproof all of these other houses' top edge of siding. Is it simply caulked? How do you nail the top course?... at the bottom where it overlaps the previous one? The only ones that I can definitely tell have a frieze board are both vertical plank styles facia.

2nd: I've gone through the James Hardie website and PDFs and NOT seen any mention of the frieze board. Am I missing it?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:21 PM   #5

The frieze board can be anything from a 1x2 to a 1x12. Most are 1x4 around here, but they're typically sized to match the vertical corner trim. Simply caulk them. Since the soffits overhang you'll never get direct rainwater on the top courses of siding or the frieze board.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:18 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Also: I suggest that you use a paintable "fiber-cement" type caulking.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #7

excellent. Thank you both again. OhBTW, meant to thank you also for the "T" idea. Sorry, guess I had a brain fart while typing.

...So maybe it's there but the frieze board is just thin. I'll take a closer look at some of the houses in the neighborhood. I know of a couple that simply don't have it. I guess they're counting on not getting direct rain up there. Maybe I'll even get to meet more of my neighbors in a good sorta way, eh?