Hardiplank 3" Reveal With 6 1/4" Planks? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardiplank 3" reveal with 6 1/4" planks?

Hello all. I have been given about 100 lenghts of 6 1/4" hardiplank in exactly the right color for my garage that will match our heritage house. the problem is that I want to match the house leaving a 3" reveal.

1) Can I use the 6 1/4" without ripping it down?
2) If so, how do I determine the width and thickness of the starter strip I should use?
3) How thick will the overall finished product be, because I'll have to allow for that with the jam extensions around the garage doors, mandoors, and window trim that the hardie will butt into.
4) Anything else that I should have asked but am too naive to think of?

Thanks for your time.

Advertisement

BarryBuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

You would have to rip them, otherwise the bottom of the panel would kick out and not lay flat.

You need at least 1” of trim to butt into. I prefer 1 ” which gives you a better caulking surface.

Here a link to the Hardi installation manual.
http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner...nkLapSiding.py

Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why they "would not lay flat"? I thought they would just stack thicker and you would need a thicker starting strip to get the thickness and angle started correctly.

When I look at my wood roof, it has 10" of overlap on the shakes/shingles and yet it still "lays flat". It just stacks thicker.

I don't really care about it being thicker with more overlap, as long as it still works and/or doesn't cause any other issues.

Has anybody tried to reduce the reveal with Hardi using more overlap? Isn't this do-able with a different starter strip?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:54 PM   #4
KemoSabe

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryBuilder View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure why they "would not lay flat"? I thought they would just stack thicker and you would need a thicker starting strip to get the thickness and angle started correctly.

When I look at my wood roof, it has 10" of overlap on the shakes/shingles and yet it still "lays flat". It just stacks thicker.

I don't really care about it being thicker with more overlap, as long as it still works and/or doesn't cause any other issues.

Has anybody tried to reduce the reveal with Hardi using more overlap? Isn't this do-able with a different starter strip?
I don't see a problem.

The only issue I see is that you'll have to rip the starter to achieve the desired overlap, then use a tapered shim behind the starter to get the starter to sit at the correct angle for the first full piece to lay flat. All the other coarses will lay flat against the one before it. It will definitely lay thick. I recommend using some pieces to mock up your reveal to check out what will be needed for a starter shim and for trim thickness.
kwikfishron (04-13-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 05:32 PM   #5

Thanks very much LoneFramer. I'll mock it up and try it out.