Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM   #1

Share |

HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this

So I built a house a couple years ago and was talked into using cheaper HardiSoffit for siding because it was cheaper and came in the widths we needed for this modern house. The standard Z Bar flashing was designed for thicker HardiePanel siding so instead we used HardiSoffit H Bar joint flashing. Bad idea, as you can see in the photos, this PVC or plastic stuff is not intended for direct sun or vertical installation. The pieces have shrunk significantly, leaving long gaps in the siding. The photos are of the south side of the house, Texas sun is brutal on plastic, PVC and wood. The HardiSoffit, however, is holding up great as expected. There is some water leaking onto a few windowsills on the south side of the house, I believe due to these horizontal gaps. The H bar on the North side of the house is fine, no shrinkage, but I still want to replace it as well. As for the few popped nails, I plan to replace those with countersunk screws.

So, I plan on ripping out the flashing with some pliers and either: A. somehow finding and adding correct z Bar flashing and jamming it in there or B. buying an electric caulk gun and about 20 tubes of 50 year caulk to fill the gaps.

Any suggestions on what is best remedy for this problem? Does HardiSoffit contract and expand with the temperature fluctuations or is 50 year caulk okay to use here?

This is on a modern house in central Texas with no roof overhang, so when installed properly, this should keep out water just fine with the correct flashing.
Attached Thumbnails
HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding1.jpg   HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding2.jpg   HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding3.jpg   HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding4.jpg   HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding5.jpg  

slappywhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
Mod

Never dealt with Hardi Soffit for siding.

Need to see a stand back picture of the house to get a better idea on all of your detail issues.

Replace the popped nails with ring shanks.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Never dealt with Hardi Soffit for siding.

Need to see a stand back picture of the house to get a better idea on all of your detail issues.

Replace the popped nails with ring shanks.

Thanks for the ring shank suggestion. Here's a stand back view.
Attached Thumbnails
HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding6.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Mod

If you could how about one more picture showing one of your windows in the whole shot.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #5

Quote:
If you could how about one more picture showing one of your windows in the whole shot.
Here ya go:
Attached Thumbnails
HardieSoffit used as Siding with H Bar <--don't do this-siding7.jpg  
Old 07-27-2010, 04:18 PM   #6
Mod

One thing that has to happen as you know is all seams have to be dealt with. What you should have done is have a sheet metal shop custom bend you flashing for your horizontal seams.

Due to how fragile the Hardi is I can’t see you making a flashing detail work on those seams now without damaging the siding.

I’d rip a 5-10 degree bevel on the top of a 1x2 (so water won’t stand) to cover the horizontal seams and caulk.

The vertical seams really should be treated the same way. It looks like all of those seams seam to be stacked so covering with a one piece 1x from top to bottom would be easy to do and it looks like you would only have a couple of vertical lines on that wall.

What is behind the siding? How did you set your windows?
Old 07-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #7

What about just removing this H Bar and caulking? I don't want to accentuate the seams, there are too many of them (eleven horizontal all the way around the entire house). I plan on replacing all the 1x2 wood trim you see with Hardi or steel (Texas summers shorten the life of wood in a hurry). And after all that, this will get painted a solid color of some kind.

As for what's underneath, it starts with OSB, then Tyvek house wrap, then the Hardi. The egress window you see in that last photo was added very late and there are three of them. Those are the only ones that leak. The three window openings were originally designed for smaller egress windows, then the city changed the rules on us, long story short we had to cut larger openings for these three and add them after the siding was installed and even painted.

Thanks for your help. Just looking for a way to take care of this without removing the siding and starting over, and I would love to do it that way to make it right, but just not possible right now.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Mod

And I’m trying to give you a solution without tearing off the siding.

Lucky you’re in Texas, if you were on the OR. Coast as I am tear off would be about it.

Sure you could caulk the seams. I know I wouldn’t be happy with that and you would be re-caulking and touching up paint on something every year.

The 1x2 I suggested doesn’t have to be that, you could rip ¾ x ¼” strips if you want. At least the seam is covered and caulked.

I can’t believe that well painted wood "will not work" in Texas.

You have quite the unique situation on your hands there. That’s about all I can offer.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 07-28-2010 at 05:19 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slappywhite View Post

This is on a modern house in central Texas with no roof overhang, so when installed properly, this should keep out water just fine with the correct flashing.
Hardie soffit is installed properly when.............it is installed properly...........for where it's supposed to go..... for soffit like it's supposed to be used for. What makes you think you can install soffit on the walls when it was never designed for the walls?

This is what happens when you totally disregard using a product the right way. Soffits are meant to be used a soffits, not siding.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Sure you could caulk the seams. I know I wouldn’t be happy with that and you would be re-caulking and touching up paint on something every year.

I can’t believe that well painted wood "will not work" in Texas.

I'd be using the caulk they put in sidewalk seams around here, it holds up pretty well. As for wood, yes, some paint will protect it, but I'm looking for long term protection and the Texas sun really bakes the stuff.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
Hardie soffit is installed properly when.............it is installed properly...........for where it's supposed to go..... for soffit like it's supposed to be used for. What makes you think you can install soffit on the walls when it was never designed for the walls?

This is what happens when you totally disregard using a product the right way. Soffits are meant to be used a soffits, not siding.
Will you call my contractor and let him know? He won't return my calls.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Will you call my contractor and let him know? He won't return my calls.
A contractor built your house?
Old 07-27-2010, 06:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Carola View Post
A contractor built your house?
Yes, but this was a new process to him so he had to learn as he went along. No experience with anything but clapboard. Cheap though, I just have to go behind him and clean up a few messes.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #14
Framing Contractor

Quote:
Yes, but this was a new process to him so he had to learn as he went along. No experience with anything but clapboard. Cheap though, I just have to go behind him and clean up a few messes.
And you trusted him learning on your house? Was he the cheapest contractor at the time? We all have to learn somewhere, but this guy sounds like his very first project was your house. Anyone starting out with a slight bit of common sense does not use soffit for siding. Who would even be so stupid not including you comedian.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #15

Anyway.......some of us have work to do. Point taken, please move along, nothing to see here.

Thanks to wikfishron for the good advice, and if anyone else has any constructive advice I would appreciate it. Thank you!