Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hardieplank Lap siding Help..

Should/Do most contractors who install James Hardiplank have go by the manufacture's installation guide or can some come up with their own method of installation. I feel like they cut corners just to get the contract and I want the warranty to be valid once they complete the work.
I'm a female homeowner tying to do my homehork on this issue.
Please advise.

http://www.jameshardie.com/pdf/best-...ardieplank.pdf

Last edited by carmel64; 03-13-2012 at 10:06 PM.
carmel64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:22 PM   #2

So from what I'm reading, I appears that my contractors did butt all the joints. Since they did this on all joints all the way around my house what advise do you give me? Do they have to redo all the siding over again using the flashing this time? I got the installation instructions off of James Hardie website that clearly states NOT to caulk when installing COLOR PLUS siding! Geez! How did they not know this and it only took me 3 seconds to find out?
Attached Thumbnails
Hardieplank Lap siding Help..-caulked-butt-siding-4-.jpg   Hardieplank Lap siding Help..-caulked-butt-1-800x600-.jpg   Hardieplank Lap siding Help..-dscf0504-800x600-.jpg  

Old 03-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 8

Well Two things you can do.
1. live with it.
2 take them to court and have them redo it right and have a James Hardi rep Help you. The problem is to many contractors out there that want work and take zero time to be educated on the products and practices of the work they claim to be a pro of.
I do Siding Jame Hardie and I have always flashed the butt joints with 30 lb felt. never a problem. When the HO asked why no caulk there i explain that the siding will contract and expand equally at the end joints were as the but joint don't expand equally as the end joint. and because I flash 4 inches on either side of the joint and three inches above it with a 1/4 in over lap any water that will get into the joint will run down to the next course.
I hope and wish you the best of luck. And contact James Hardi and tell the rep what the contractor did.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
carmel64 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 03:58 AM   #4
Maryland

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel64
So from what I'm reading, I appears that my contractors did butt all the joints. Since they did this on all joints all the way around my house what advise do you give me? Do they have to redo all the siding over again using the flashing this time? I got the installation instructions off of James Hardie website that clearly states NOT to caulk when installing COLOR PLUS siding! Geez! How did they not know this and it only took me 3 seconds to find out?
The planks are supposed to be installed in "moderate contact" at the butt joints. So if this is the case, you're fine there. This includes the ColorPlus product.

With ColorPlus, the field butt joints aren't caulked mainly for aesthetic reasons. The planks and the caulk will weather differently and the joints will become unsightly. You do need to caulk where the ends of the plank meet vertical trim however. This applies to both the primed product and ColorPlus. If the field joints have been caulked, it's not the end of the world, but it's certainly not per the installation instructions. Ask them to come back and remove all of the caulk from the joints. Have the installation instructions in hand.

Your biggest issue is going to be whether or not they flashed those butt joints. If they did, you're fine and the worst of your worries will be the ugly caulked joints. If they didn't flash the joints and the caulk fails, then you've lost one line of defense against water infiltration. You'll have the rely on your WRB to keep you dry. Maybe the caulk is a blessing in disguise?

As far as what to do, ask the contractor if the joints were flashed. If they were, I'd live with the caulked joints for the next 15 years (the warranty period) or until the house needed to be painted again. No worries. If the joints weren't flashed, I'd discuss my concerns with the contractor and try to come to some agreement about how to make things right. If you're unable to do so, there's always the civil court system. Best of luck!

By the way, is that a door or window that I see in the bottom corner of your second photo? If so, it's generally not good practice to have a joint in your siding directly above.

Last edited by Pittsville; 03-14-2012 at 04:03 AM.
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:27 AM   #5

Okay, so I understand what you're saying but since everything that's been done, and it's way more than just this joint issue, how can I trust the contractors word that he in fact did put flashing. I wasn't watching them the whole time but I have a good feeling that it wasn't done. I know I can't base MY feelings on it but I certaintly can't trust his word either!! Know what I mean? I will be posting all my concerns so that I could get some good advice and be ready when they send the Supervisor out later this week. And of course that Supervisor was not on site but for a couple of "surprise" visits. This will be the second time I have them come back and do/redo work that I have never been happy about so I want it to be the last after I go over EVERYTHING. Ten thousand $$ doesn't come easy! Also, you say that a joint should not be directly above a door or window. Is this because of water? Can you take a look at these pics and tell me if I have a nailing issue? They're nails on trim around the new siding...
I welcome your advise on any of the other pics and issues I post.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Hardieplank Lap siding Help..-dscf0522-800x600-.jpg   Hardieplank Lap siding Help..-dscf0523-800x600-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #6
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
it's way more than just this joint issue, how can I trust the contractors word that he in fact did put flashing.
Follow that old rule "don't ask a question that you don't know the answer to"

Pick a lower out-of-the-way board and pry it up a little. If you don't see flashing material, you have your answer. When the supervisor arrives, ask the contractor infront of him if he flashed all of the joints. If his answer doesn't match what you already know, then bring them to the place that you looked and ask for an explanation.

And have someone else in the company do the repairs (if necessary) if the guy was incompetent the first time around, he's not going to suddenly pay attention to detail and he's going to be ticked off. Not a good combination.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 AM   #7

Thanks for your response. I feel the same.. like I said this is the second time they are called out. Why do I have to point out the issues when clearly they agree after the fact? Do it correctly the first time and we'll all be happy. I clearly didn't make any mistakes writing the check....except to the wrong contractor! Take a look at my ALBUM pictures on other issues I have to address with him. This is also not all of them either. I got tired of uploading pics!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by carmel64; 03-14-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #8

Learning how to reply on this site...see reply I sent you on thread. Sorry!
Old 03-14-2012, 08:02 AM   #9

Posted SOME pictures/album on other ugly concerns I have with contractor. Take a look and tell me what you think. This is really starting to get to me!!! I feel like I made the wrong decision hiring this company but I fully researched BBB, Angie's List, and website! Shame on me.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

First of all, I'd suggest that you take a deep breath and step back (or out of) "panic mode". It doesn't help in any way, but can cause you to react with emotions, rather than with patient discernment. I am not stating this because you are a female, I am stating this as it applies for both genders.

Thus far, the work looks good (from the pics). It appears it was done the way the product "used to be" installed, prior to Hardie's recent change (as outlined on their site - installation instructions).

- As stated, the main concern about caulking the butt seams revolves around the colorplus, or factory pre-painted hardie planks and the color matched caulking. The issue is that the caulking fades to a lighter color over time and stands out visibly when that happens. So this is an esthetic point to review and discuss with the Supervisor.

- Please understand, that it is not unusual for a Supervisor to appear on a job from time-to-time to check on the work and and review any worksite questions or concerns. That is what "Supervisors" do = they are not the "foreman" (that person is on the job at all times). Please do not confuse the two positions, or what their job is.

- As also stated, the question is whether they flashed the backsides of the butt seams. Mention this to the Supervisor, and if needed, get something certified in writing, that it was done, if they (he) verbally states that it was done.
Realize that on a major project, such as an addition, or renovation = you don't know if the insulation, structural framing, beams, electrical, etc, etc - is being done properly, or according to what is necessary, or required by code. That doesn't mean that you should distrust or question every detail of such work.

Take one step at a time. You are jumping way ahead before getting "all" the facts and answers.

Get ALL the facts first by asking educated questions, documenting answers (or getting them in writing). Then go to the next step.

My final advice is to approach everything with a professional composure and stay away from the "panic mode".
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #11
Not so new

Well said!
12penny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #12

I agree. The ONLY reason that I am distrusting this contractor is because aside from the work, the employees who did do the work, stole from my home. Secondly, things I pointed out the first time (ie crooked planks, big holes they drilled and covered up with siding, etc.) And the response I get is ..."we're not perfect". How can I continue to believe that they are correctly doing the job with continued concerns? Would you?
I'm a good and always a patient person and I think that may be part of the problem.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #13

You say in your response that the "work looks good (in the pics)". WHere these from the pics I posted this morning? (rain coming down the siding from the roof, the back light being caulked on one side to hide a hole on the other side...etc...) ? Sorry about the dormer shingles pic being too small. The upload failed when I tried to upload the bigger version..

Thanks again for the advice. I do not take it personal because I know that I am pretty calm with the contractor. I think I can better get things done with kindness..I just wanted some advice from those that are in the business.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmel64 View Post
Secondly, things I pointed out the first time (ie crooked planks, big holes they drilled and covered up with siding, etc.) And the response I get is ..."we're not perfect".
Now THAT would piss me off. The big holes should be closed and sealed properly before they are covered. One crooked plank will lead to two, which leads to three and then one whole run, which leads to another whole run, which leads to half a side. Not good.

I hope you haven't paid for the full job yet. And if not, don't until all that stuff is fixed.

As a woman home owner, I've had some "interesting" experiences with contractors who assume that I couldn't possibly know anything about my home because I have boobs. One guy told me at my last house that I shouldn't vent my furnace on the driveway side of my house because (and I quote) "what if you come home drunk from a rugby party and hit the vent pipe with your car." Uh, thanks for the input, move along now.

More recently, I had someone in to estimate some work, and he kept addressing my husband instead of me. Finally my husband said point blank "talk to her about this, I don't understand a thing you're talking about." The look on the guy's face was priceless.

I totally understand a contractor asking if my husband will be home, since then they can field questions all at once. However, the blanket assumption that "men do this work" is endlessly irritating to me and a number of different contractors have lost my business for that reason alone.

My friend (single, female homeowner) had an installer completely screw up drywall. He hung it so the seam was centered between the upper and lower cabinets in the kitchen, instead of putting the seams behind the cabinets where they wouldn't show anyway. His finish work was crap and when it was painted, you could clearly see the line. When she asked him about it, she was told that that was "how it turned out" and that she "wouldn't notice it after a while." It took multiple calls to his supervisor to get it finished correctly, and he was pissed that she complained, and that caused other issues with his work.

Now, granted, I'm sure there are contractors who treat men the same way. However in my experience the way they speak to my husband is VERY different from how they talk to me... until they are informed that I'm the one that does that work.

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mnp13 For This Useful Post:
carmel64 (03-14-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 198

I would not have used those big nails to attach that trim. I use trim head stainless steel or ceramic coated trim head screws with latex color matched caulking to cover up the screw heads.
Where the trim is run horizontal I've been using a piece of vinyl cove molding set in a bed of 50 year caulking to act as a rain deverter, so the water does not just lay on top of the trim and mold up or run down behind the trim.

Last edited by joecaption; 03-14-2012 at 10:08 AM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
carmel64 (03-14-2012), jaydevries (03-18-2012)

Tags
installation, james hardie, lap siding