Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Hardie plank nailing without stud at end

I'm planning to replace my vinyl siding with Hardie plank on my home. It's going to be a big job ~3500 sq ft of siding.

I plan to use the 71/4 siding with 6" reveal and understand most the installation techniques except what to do about ends of the plank without a stud or nailing block?

My home has 6 inch verticle trim at the corners hiding the studs and most likely the next closest stud is 10 inches from the end of the siding. Same is true around my windows, the rough opening studs are hidden with trim around the window. Do I just nail where I can and let the end to the planks float? Of course I'll caulk the 1/8 inch gap after the siding is hung.

toddhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:06 AM   #2

I'd remove the outside corner you have now and use 1 X 4 vinyl to form the outside corners so the new siding can butt up againt it.
Most outside vinyl corners are not going to have a wide enough open to fit laped Hardee planks.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

thanks for the suggestion of replacing with corner trim with vinyl with 1x4. This will be good but I'm still confused on wheather I can leave the ends of the Hardie plank without nialing to a stud (the stud is hidden by the corner trim). Will the planks ends still hold tight, do I need to add an OSB backer board for nailing?
toddhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:54 AM   #4

Where are you located? Behind your vinyl siding are your walls completely sheathed with some kind of "plywood" ?
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CopperClad For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (06-25-2012)

Tags
hardie, nailing blocks, plank