Hardie Panel Installation - Weight - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

Hardie Panel Installation - Weight

So, does anyone have experience installing Hardie Panel Vertical siding? I'm considering using it on an addition to our home and would appreciate any real life experience. I am planning on doing the "board and batten" look, using the battens to cover all the vertical seams. I won't be doing very much of it, just around 10 sheets or so as it is small addition. From what I've read though, the panels are heavy, 2.3 lbs. per sq. ft., or about 80 lbs per sheet.

So, my question is, any tricks for hanging it on a second story? One person hold, another person screw it in? Has anyone made a brace of some sort? I am concerned about damaging the flashing that must go between sheets.

Any thoughts or help would be great!

Advertisement

stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

I have installed that stuff before and yes it is really heavy. If you must use it, vs a wood product, I would recommend renting quality scaffolding to ensure safety when installing. Then it is just a matter of man handling it up and fasten.

Advertisement

Radioreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

we have used this product numerous times and i HATE it. it is so heavy, there are no ship laps for water intrusion, etc, and it is very fragile. when we install it, we make sure that all flashing z-bar is placed properly under tyvek, and as we install each sheet, we place a strip of 30#felt behind joint as well and make sure it is over the front of z-bar.

then we caulk the edge we are butting into with a 50 yr acrylic latex siliconized caulking, slide the next sheet against it and fasten. wipe down caulking joint with a damp rag, not wet, and go to the next piece.

we use a rubber nose tip on our guns and use full headed electro galvanized nails. make sure pressure is set so you don't blow through the siding, since it is only 5/16 thick. head of fastener should pull snug against the face of the siding, but not breaking through the faace.
kawendtco is offline   Reply With Quote