Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hardie Board Siding and Wind

We are in the process of deciding which type of siding to put on our house. The house is 60 years old and generally in excellent shape, however, the current siding is in need of replacement. We have looked around a lot and come to the conclusion that lap siding from James Hardie Company is our best choice.

While talking to a friend about our decision, he told me to watch out for Hardie Board. My friend has a friend who is a contractor (don't we all). The contractor told my friend's friend that Hardie Board can be a problem in windy areas. We live in a windy area. Supposedly, the wind will get under the Hardie Board and sort of vibrate it which, in turn, will loosen the nails and enlarge the nail holes.

I wolud appreciate hearing from anyone that has experience with Hardie Board regarding this or other related problems.

gordo409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 04:15 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo409 View Post
........ My friend has a friend who is a contractor (don't we all). The contractor told my friend's friend that Hardie Board can be a problem in windy areas. We live in a windy area. Supposedly, the wind will get under the Hardie Board and sort of vibrate it which, in turn, will loosen the nails and enlarge the nail holes.
Funny, Sounds like: My aunt's, sister-in-law's, ex-husband's, cousin's, friend said......

Never heard of that. Example: We installed it on a house literally right on a beach about 5 years ago. Still on that house good and strong.

If someone had an issue in regards to the siding coming off in anything but a serious major storm, I think issues like: sheathing material, sheathing attachment methods, siding fastener choices, etc... should be looked at as a major contributing factor.

The link below is the "Legacy Report" off the James Hardie website. Pages 18 to 28 cover the product's (Hardiplank) maximum designed wind speed load, exposure amount, fastener requirements, etc - based on several different national and regional codes:

http://www.jameshardie.com/builder/pdf/ner-405.pdf

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-10-2007 at 05:56 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

I've had a similar product on a house for 10 years, and never had a problem with it BTW located in the mid west, VERY strong winds when the tornado season hits. I never replaced my siding, can't say the same for my neighbors vinyl. You always have the option of face nailing.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote