Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #1

Share |

Hardi plank - staining vs painting

I have a vacation home in the Pacific northwest. Currently it has cedar siding which I am replacing with Hardi plank to minimize upkeep. I have ordered the preprimed boards which will be installed, and a painter who will be using the Sherwin Williams "Super" paint. This appears to be what others in the area are doing. However, I just heard from my brother in New Zealand that he used Hardi plank on his house and stained it rather than painted it because "it would last much longer and looked better", but it was a pain to apply because of overlap markings. He needed to do 3 coats.

I read the previous posts on this site, but they were several years ago.

Questions:
I love the current cedar look and was going to go with the same color in paint. Would a stain give me a more "natural" look?

Would stain leave the Hardi plank more porus and mildew/upkeep a more likely problem.

No one ever mentioned a stain. Is that because it is difficult to apply? Is there a special technique to applying it? Would spraying (which is what the painter intends to do with the paint) eliminate the overlap problem?

Is this a situation where a product that may work well in one part of the country, may not work on a lake in western Washington (as I found out on the deck)

should my biggest question be "Do I want someone [the painter] learning how to use a product?" on my house?

I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks

acdrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
Agent 000

From the James Hardie site

<snip>
Note - The use of oil based paints on unprimed fiber cement could result in increased surface roughness, loss of adhesion, cracking or excessive chalking. James Hardie does not recommend the use of oil based paints over unprimed fiber cement siding products. Stains containing linseed oil are specifically designed for wood and may not be suitable for fiber cement siding products, primed or unprimed.

Note - Semi-transparent stains can vary in uniformity of appearance depending on method of application & conditions and will require a high level of skill & craftsmanship to achieve a uniform appearance. Clear coats have not proven durable in exterior exposure and James Hardie considers them a maintenance item that may require application of a refurbishing sealer at regular intervals. James Hardie does not warrant the appearance or durability of semitransparent stains or clear coats.
<end snip>

Let your conscience be your guide.

SecretSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
I have gas!

If you're not set on any specific color, you could save the cost of painting if you install the Hardy pre-finished siding. For my 1500^2' house, the pre-finished siding is about $1000 more than pre-primed only.
RenoStruct (02-06-2012)
Old 07-03-2007, 07:22 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Like Clutch said: Look at the pre-painted hardi-plank siding.

You can also get color matched caulking and "repair kits" for it - from James Hardie....

Link: http://www.jameshardiecolorplus.com/

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 07-03-2007 at 07:24 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 01:08 AM   #5
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdrey View Post
I have a vacation home in the Pacific northwest.
Is it in snow country? Will there be snow and ice piled up against the walls of the house during the winter? If so, rethink the Hardiplank idea. Hardiplank has a serious problem with paint peeling off in areas where snow piles up against it. Don't know what the reason is, or what the mechanism for the problem is, just that a local Hardie rep admitted that paint peeling problems are an issue in Alpine climates. It is a real problem with dozens of houses in central Idaho in snow country. I've seen it.
dmaceld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:41 AM   #6

thanks to those who answered:

In answer to some of the asked questions -
The planks come preprimed. The suggested stain product is Mason's Select "Woodperfect Series" which is designed for fiber cement and is an acrylic latex. http://www.weekesforest.com/woodperfect.htm I just don't know anyone who has used it, and wonder why no one mentioned it when I was doing my initial research. Standing snow is usually not the problem, but constant rain is.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 AM   #7

[The planks come preprimed. The suggested stain product is Mason's Select "Woodperfect Series" which is designed for fiber cement and is an acrylic latex. http://www.weekesforest.com/woodperfect.htm I just don't know anyone who has used it, and wonder why no one mentioned it when I was doing my initial research.

quote=SecretSquirrel;51382]From the James Hardie site

<snip>
Note - The use of oil based paints on unprimed fiber cement could result in increased surface roughness, loss of adhesion, cracking or excessive chalking. James Hardie does not recommend the use of oil based paints over unprimed fiber cement siding products. Stains containing linseed oil are specifically designed for wood and may not be suitable for fiber cement siding products, primed or unprimed.

Note - Semi-transparent stains can vary in uniformity of appearance depending on method of application & conditions and will require a high level of skill & craftsmanship to achieve a uniform appearance. Clear coats have not proven durable in exterior exposure and James Hardie considers them a maintenance item that may require application of a refurbishing sealer at regular intervals. James Hardie does not warrant the appearance or durability of semitransparent stains or clear coats.
<end snip>

Let your conscience be your guide.[/quote]
Old 07-04-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Some discussion on the topic of staining HARDIPLANK previously:

hardiplank staining
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:39 PM   #9

Thanks for the input. I had previously read that thread (dated some years ago) and had hoped that by now someone would have had the experience of actually doing it to share.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:19 PM   #10

Hi We live in California and I really don't know what the weather implications are beyond what i read on the label of the stain. We used Cabot stain 3 coats. There is a big problem with the overlap thing, We back brushed all the planks, one at a time , but i really wanted to have cedar look and it even fooled the building inspector. He had to touch it to see if it was real wood or not. I researched on the web and the factory will stain it for you with Mason stain. The stains are something like 10 years per coat, you will have to ask. We did many test boards and used 2 different colors. The first attatchment is our guest house and the second was my insperation.
Good Luck
kadunckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 11:06 PM   #11

Hey, thanks for your response. I am in the middle of the project now. My brother, who lives in New Zealand, put Hardiplank on his house. I believe Hardiplank is an Australian product, so It has been used in NZ for some time. He sided his house with the product about 20 yrs. ago and used a cedar color stain. It has yet to need refinishing. He mentioned the problem of overlap. He said there is a special applicator he used which minimizes this problem. He used 2 coats to even it out. Up here in Washington, no one seems to have experience with stained Hardiplank, so the painter is starting tomorrow with the latex. I figured I didn't want someone learning a new skill on my house, especially if it is tricky.

What is also interesting is no one seems to use the joint flashing up here - they use caulking only. I insisted on the flashing, since it rains so much, with the calking. What is also interesting is that only one style of Hardiplank seems to be available up here. Everything else needs to be special ordered at a wait of several weeks.

Your photos were unavailable for viewing. I live most of the year in So. California, and stucco is our thing there. Hence my lack of experience. Hope yours turned out well.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #12

We welcome another southern California family to the great northwest.
warnerww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:54 PM   #13

Hello everyone. I also live in California and have a question....

Has anyone bought the Hardie Panel, Cedar Mill pre-stained in Mahogany color? I saw on the James Hardie Color website that they offer stains in different colors but don't seem to be able to findout if anyone has actually purchased and installed it. Also what was the staining product that is recommended if you stain the fiber-cement panels yourself? I'm trying to achieve the contemporary look of wood-panel siding without the maintenance. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Corrinne.
Corrinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:57 PM   #14

Since having stained HardiPlank installed in 2005 we have had a BIG problem!! The stain was factory applied by a Hardi approved factory- Duckback Products- and is peeling off the siding. This started after just 2 years while the stain has a 12 year warranty. We are still in the process of having them honor their warranty.

They no longer offer the stain process and that leads me to believe that they must be aware of problems!!

Does anyone here have or know of others with this problem??

Thanks!!

Peddi
Peddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:56 PM   #15

Monarch Siding is offering that stain still in Calgary.

rcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote