Hardi Plank (Preprimed HZ5) Questions??? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Hardi Plank (Preprimed HZ5) Questions???

We just got our siding done this Saturday night before the storms came rolling in through Des Moines, IA and now I have some questions & concerns about the install and siding before I move on to finishing it completely.

I noticed that when some planks got nailed up (blind nailed) in various locations they are kinda tight against inside/outside corner trim. Almost all of the siding is good with the 1/8" gap that the James Hardie Best practices guide recommends at these locations. So, will this be a problem, since I am unsure about the contraction/swelling properties on Hardi Plank? If so should I attempt to cut the end of the mounted planks to create the required gap?

We got fairly heavy rain from Saturday night until today (Monday) with a continued chance of it all week long. I didn't get to caulk when we finished due to the rain. How soon can I caulk with Vulkem after the rain lets off? I am worried about trapping moisture behind the siding if I caulk to soon or possibly having it wash out.

Once I can caulk, should I prime the Hardi Plank since it's preprimed? BTW I do intend to blast off any dirt or cutting dust before I prime/paint.

Advertisement

Last edited by Learn2Build; 07-05-2010 at 12:19 PM.
Learn2Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,478

should I attempt to cut the end of the mounted planks to create the required gap?
I wouldn’t worry about it. Hardi expands and contracts very little. Since you installed it in summer in IA. I’d expect more contraction than expansion from here on out.

How soon can I caulk with Vulkem after the rain lets off?
As soon as everything is dry to the touch. Any water that may have got behind the siding will dry out.

Once I can caulk, should I prime the Hardi Plank since it's preprimed?
That’s a good question, Hardi says no as long as you paint within 5 mo. (I think). I haven’t seen any problems that would make me think otherwise but I know two different painters that “do prime” the pre-primed Hardi before they paint.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

i actually think you get a better cement job doing the painting after installation,much more custom look to me personally
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote