Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hardi board plank siding over T1-11

I want to go over my T1-11 siding (5/8") siding with hardi board plank siding. I'm guessing I will have to pull a permit for this job as well. I was planning on running the vapor barrier over the T1-11. Do I have to run the vapor barrier all the way to the top of the siding which will now be the sheathing. I would have to take down all of the soffits in order to do this. Also, do most permit offices require a sheathing inspection prior to putting up the siding?

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:59 PM   #2

You're thinking moisture barrier like Tyvek, right? I'd suggest getting it up under the frieze board which is the 1x4 or 1x6 immediately under the soffit, or will be on a lap-sided house.

As for permits, that depends on the city you live in. Since the T1-11 is a rated sheathing and is already in place, I don't think they'd require a nail inspection of it. Better ask to be safe. As for siding application, there's not a heck of a lot of code that governs it, but some cities may require a look because of flashing reasons.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
You're thinking moisture barrier like Tyvek, right? I'd suggest getting it up under the frieze board which is the 1x4 or 1x6 immediately under the soffit, or will be on a lap-sided house.

As for permits, that depends on the city you live in. Since the T1-11 is a rated sheathing and is already in place, I don't think they'd require a nail inspection of it. Better ask to be safe. As for siding application, there's not a heck of a lot of code that governs it, but some cities may require a look because of flashing reasons.

I'll call to check about the permit requirement. I was thinking about buying house wrap. It has Lowes printed on it. I'm guessing this is generic Tyvek. Yes, I do have the 1x4 frieze board. It is caulked to the siding, so I would have to cut the seal and pry the board a little to get it under. Would using house wrap tape at the top be acceptable? Thanks for all your help. It is much appreciated.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:55 AM   #4

The Lowes stuff is knockoff Tyvek, but it is not as good as the real thing. The Tyvek keeps water from getting in but it lets moisture in the wall get out, which is what makes it so good and so expensive.

Housewrap tape is for bonding the wrap at the seams because it actually chemically bonds two pieces of wrap together and gives a weathertight seam. It is not for bonding housewrap to other surfaces.

I'd really suggest removing that frieze board and tucking the top of the wrap under it, the re-applying it. Even if you have to replace it, you're not talking big bucks. You could use 1x material or thicker LP smart trim (5/4") would look even better.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote