Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2007, 06:12 PM   #1
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Share |

hard wood fire door

I need a 3'0 door for access to my attic stairs in my garage. Since it's within 4' of my woodstove I decided it should be a firedoor. This will firstly make me feel safer and secondly give me the adjustable spring loaded hinges so it never gets left (by some trespasser ) too close to the stove.

I was offered a free hard wood fire door today minus the frame. I'm very familiar with metal fire doors and the adjustable frames but how would I find a proper frame for this door and is it worth the trouble?

tia
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Eibwen

hard wood fire door

Probably would need a metal door frame from the same mfg to keep the UL label. That way the hinge cuts and lock prep will match and not need modification.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #3

hard wood fire door

You want to minimize the added weight. The springs were engineered for the stairs only. Why couldn't you wrap the wood bottom with sheetmetal. As added protection, they have this cloth that you could put under it. Plumbers use it to protect combustibles close to where they solder. You would just need a larger size.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:35 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

hard wood fire door

No the door is in a wall at the bottom of the stairs. It technically doesnt need to be a fire door by code and the woodstove is installed by code (clearances, chimney, etc). But I dont want to worry about it. I'm going to end up buying a new steel one, just been avoiding it... funds are always needed elsewhere.
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote