Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Hanging shed door

So I've been building a shed in the backyard for the past couple days and have ran into an issue right at the end with the door. The top of the door fits just fine with no issues but I can't get the bottom corner of the door to stay shut.

I can get it to close by kicking the bottom, and nothing is binding when it is closed. The bottom edge is just sorta hanging out there...It will lay flat on the ground so the door isn't bowed.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the hinge? I'm thinking it may need to move to the right, but figured I would ask you guys first before I go drilling more holes.

Tips/Suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and first post!

cmatychak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

Hanging shed door

Are you just trying to use James Hardee panels and those 1 X 4's and nothing on the back side of the door?
A few other things, all that trim should have had the grade marks sanded off and be primed and painted two coats before installing it on all sides.
Now your stuck with having to paint araound the hindges.
Would have been far better to have the batten strips on the back side of the door not the outside, now water is going to lay in there and rot it out.
It would have been far better to have used vinyl lumber for the trim, no painting, no rot.
When you installed the hindges did you flip them over into the opening so there would self align? Looks like the bottom has a differant exposure.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Hanging shed door

You might want to try removing the screws from the top and bottom hinge, and then closing the door properly, to see where the hinges want to be for a proper closed position.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Hanging shed door

just looking at the last photo your door is warped. or the rough opening has a wind in it which is throwing off the doors ability to close
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Hanging shed door

if you build an X frame out of 2x4 and mount it to the inside of the door it could take some of the warp out of the door because of the stiffness of the 2x4s
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote