Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM   #1

Share |

hanging a mirror

Been working on the honey-do list this week and one of the projects was to hang an oval mirror on the bathroom wall. I bought a “Hangman” aluminum cleat system where you attach one half to the wall and the other half to the back of the mirror. Problem is, I can’t seem to figure out how to attach the cleat to the mirror. I’ve tried Liquid Nails Mirror adhesive, but was able to pry the cleat off after a week, and the adhesive was still gummy underneath. Next I tried 5-minute epoxy, but was able to pop the cleat off the next day, even though the epoxy was totally cured. Actually, it was a disaster narrowly avoided—I thought the cleat was stuck on pretty good, but upon hanging the mirror on the wall, it popped off into my still-nearby hands. Five minutes later and it would have crashed to the floor, shattering into a million pieces.
Any ideas on what I can use to attach the cleat to the mirror? SWMBO doesn’t want the wall clips or track to hold the mirror up. Doesn’t want a frame either.

ghudspeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Prince George, BC

hanging a mirror

I've always been a fan of LePage adhesive products. For mirrors, I always use PL9000. It's a high bond, (relatively) quick grab adhesive. Here's a link to it on HD's site - http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/s...k=P_PartNumber Even though it's called "quick grab", I still recommend bracing it for quite a while before it sets. I typically set 2" nails in place around it, which can easily be pulled out by hand and the tiny holes filled with touch-up paint the next day.

MisterPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:04 PM   #3

hanging a mirror

You could try this:
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...LAID=109392664

Made for mirrors.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is online now   Reply With Quote