Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hanging interior door

Hi. I'm new to the site but excited at what it looks like it can deliver.

I've just hung an interior door (not prehung). The framing looks pretty close to plumb. When the door closes I notice that it sticks out a bit at the bottom. Can this be corrected by adjusting the hinges? What have I done wrong to cause this? Thanks for your help.

beech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Hanging interior door

If you had the ability and understanding to hang the door, it sounds like you also have the reasoning to sit down and look at the problem and try a few fixes.

Yes, moving the bottom hinge (interior door... you only have two hinges, right?), either on the jamb or on the door, should show you if the solution you come up with is working.

Try just loosening the bottom hinge a little first, and see if you can figure out anything by pushing the door a bit. That should give you some clues and direction.

Look for "hinge bind" too. This is when the hinge, itself, reaches it's closed position a hair before the door fully shuts. This is fixed by shimming out the back of the problem hinge on the barrel (pin) side. Try using folded cardboard from a cereal box.

Last edited by Willie T; 02-07-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
the Musigician

Hanging interior door

are you sure the door is not warped? you did not say as to whether it was new or not, but don't most new ones come with casings?
grab some string and stretch it from top to bottom and check flatness.

DM
Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #4

Hanging interior door

You need a level first of all to determine if your framing is level or not. Without a level you're not going to be able to install it properly. Make sure the hinge side is plumb, BOTH ways. If one side is plumb and the other isn't, you are going to have a door that doesn't close properly.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

Hanging interior door

The whole you must have the door perfectly level thing is a myth. If it gets too out of control it will cause issues, but the most important thing to remember when installing a door is keeping the jamp square and parallel. When I hang doors I don't use a level if I am near a wall or other door. Check the opening to make sure it is the correct size and then on pre-hung hollow core doors I case the hinge side of the door first. Once it is cased I slam the whole door in the opening with the hindge jamb sitting on a small shim to account for an out of level floor. No shims in the jambs. The casing holds the door in place and holds the jambs straight. I use my tape to make sure the door is parallel to anything around it, be it a wall or a window or what have you. I then pin the hinge side casing with two nailes, one behind each hinge. I lean back and use a bar under the strike jamb to raise it so the gap between the top of the door and head jamb is equal...I then pin the strike jamb casing at the top. Once I have that done, I work my way down the stike jamb casing, pinning it as needed to keep the gap consistant between the strike jamb and door. All of this is with 16 awg finish nails...and it is plenty strong...even stronger after painting...

It took longer to type it out then it takes to hang a door this way. Google Gary Katz...he is a famous trim carpenter...I stole the idea from him.

Last edited by TBFghost; 02-07-2009 at 08:37 PM.
TBFghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #6

Hanging interior door

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will certainly give them a try. Thanks again
beech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #7

Hanging interior door

Doubt this girl will be able to help but at least she looks good

CCSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote