Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #1

Share |

Hanging drywall - Vertical or Horizontal?

I'm finishing my basement which has standard 8' ceilings, and I bought the 8' drywall instead of the 12' since I'm doing most of it myself and the 8' is much easier to handle.

So, what I'm wondering is if it should go up vertically or horizontally. I've read that horizontal is better since you can get one long seam at a workable height for taping and mudding later, but then you have the end joints to deal with. If I go vertical, the ends will butt up against the ceiling and floor.

I do have a couple of outside walls that has a 3' kneewall. I was considering doing these vertical to avoid having an extra seam on the top.

What are your guys' thoughts? I'm just a homeowner, so I'm fishing for some advice from guys who have done this a lot more than I have.

Thanks in advance!

-Robb

RobbL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
Pro

Truth is, it doesn't matter. It comes down to preference.

Pros go horizontal and use the biggest sheets possible to minimize seams. My personal preference is horizontal, that first seam is right there for you and you don't need a ladder. Thinking about it, I don't think I've even NOT gone horizontal in this situation...only if the floor to ceiling height wasn't 8'...Like 9' ceiling...then it makes more sense to go vertical and use 10' sheets.

Just do what makes the most sense and minimizes the seams and you'll be fine.

As for your concern with the end joints of the drywall...just take your knife on a 45 degree angle to the end of the drywall, and shave it. Give yourself a makeshift "factory edge".

BTW, don't forget to stagger the joints!

Last edited by Nostco; 04-09-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Nostco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nostco For This Useful Post:
RobbL (04-09-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks Nostco!

One other reason why I'm hesitating to go vertical is that I read that it will tend to make the wall look more wavy if you have a vertical seam every 4 feet instead of every 8 or 12 feet. Also, if the wall studs aren't lined up perfectly, a horizontal sheet might tend to hide that better.

Do you think there's much truth to that?
Old 04-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbL View Post
Thanks Nostco!

One other reason why I'm hesitating to go vertical is that I read that it will tend to make the wall look more wavy if you have a vertical seam every 4 feet instead of every 8 or 12 feet. Also, if the wall studs aren't lined up perfectly, a horizontal sheet might tend to hide that better.

Yes, there is a lot of truth to that. Horizontal seams are less visible to the eye. That is the way that I did my basement reno.

And also remember that if you go horizontal, you will not have one "long" seam. You need to stager the joints.

BTW, not only can guys give you advice but even gals can.........lol

Good luck.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:56 AM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbL View Post
Thanks Nostco!

Tomfoolery I say to the first part. If the drywall is hung properly and the taping is done right nobody should be able to tell which way it was hung once it's painted.

If the studs aren't lined up perfectly, then first you fix that. Don't just drywall over it thinking you can hide it, that's hack.

It's as simple as shimming the wall out, take 2x material and screw onto the sides of the existing studs until you have a flush, true wall to work with. It's not structural, it's just shimming. Alternatively, you can CROSS brace the wall, which means running 2x's perpindicular to the studs, every 16", thereby once again "levelling" the wall. Which method you choose is dependant on how badly the studs are out. If it's really bad (out by 1" or more at any point)...vertical shim. Less than that, perpindicular should be ok.

You will quickly find that trying to get a sheet of drywall to conform to a maligned wall system (studs) only damages the drywall. Screws will pop, not hold properly, drywall will crack and lose it's form, eventually it will crack and you'll kick yourself in the butt. Step by step, don't listen to the hacks who skip steps and expect the next step to cover up for the previous work...it always comes back to bite the buttocks
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
Yes, there is a lot of truth to that. Horizontal seams are less visible to the eye. That is the way that I did my basement reno.

And also remember that if you go horizontal, you will not have one "long" seam. You need to stager the joints.
WHATCHUTALKINBOUT WILLIS?

How are you NOT going to have one long seam if you go horizontal, staggering has NOTHING to do with the long seam 4' up the wall, all the way across.

And you don't need to stagger the joints if you're going vertical either, not on an 8' wall.

Bad advice.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Horizontal. The positives far outweigh the negatives of hanging vertically. And If you have been keeping up with the industry, problem butt joints are a thing of the past when you use "butt boards".
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
RobbL (04-09-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostco View Post

How are you NOT going to have one long seam if you go horizontal, staggering has NOTHING to do with the long seam 4' up the wall, all the way across.

And you don't need to stagger the joints if you're going vertical either, not on an 8' wall.

Bad advice.
was going to respond to her just didnt want to state the obvious...well said
Old 04-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #9

So, horizontal it is then. But, even for the walls with a kneewall? I'd have a 4' horizontal and a 1' horizontal on the top, and a 3' horizontal on the bottom. Would that be a situation where going vertical is better?

By the way, I say "guys" in a unisex kind of a way.

Oh, and what is this about "butt boards". I haven't heard of that before. I've just been lining up the end seam to land on a stud and screwing them in. Should I be doing something more/different?

Last edited by RobbL; 04-09-2010 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #10
Military Mom of 4

I agree with the feelings about horizontal sheets.

However, I'm just not strong enough to lift a full size sheet of drywall into place - so I do mine vertical and deal with it.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:35 PM   #11

I take the coward's approach - I also looked here and saw some interesting differences of opinion - remained undecided and finally I ran it both ways. In the main room where i had lots of room to work, run a lift, and a body to help for a day, I hung the sheets horizontal. In a couple of smaller tighter areas, working alone, I found the vertical 8' sheets were much easier to maneuver and hang by myself. I wanted the experience of trying both anyway. Watching me mess with a butt joint would probably be pass-the-popcorn entertainment for anyone who's done this a lot, but I only had a few to work with, and overall I think I did not too bad. If I had a big project I think I'd be contracting out. But I did take a lot of time with the framing so there were no really wonky areas messing me up. I also didn't sweat the prospect of a bit of extra waste or a couple extra seams - I know I'm not a pro. I wouldn't pay me to do this but a good learning experience for sure - eyes wide open, not expecting perfection, overall pretty happy.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

You guys ARE aware, are you not, that there is no longer any reason nor excuse to hassle with butt joints? Hang Horizontally so you get the smooth ceiling-to-wall line, the strength, convenient height center edge seams, less overall joint taping, and the nice, flat planes it gives... and use "Butt Boards" to eliminate ever again having to fight smoothing out big, wide butt joint ridges.

Google HERE to begin learning about Butt Boards.

Last edited by Willie T; 04-10-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
Scuba_Dave (09-14-2010)
Old 04-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostco View Post

Bad advice.

Yes, I apologize. You are correct about the long seam. Got confused.
Yes you will have a long seam horizontally.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #14

http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021174058.pdf

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...tt-joints.aspx

It's a lot stronger that way if you have a fire, or kids...... http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/pdf2003/crame03a.pdf

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #15

If I can get the 10' and 12' board into the basement,I will hang horizontal. However,many times the stairwell prevents us from getting much more than 8' board down.In that case,the longer walls get hung vertical.

johnrem is offline   Reply With Quote