Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 12:05 PM   #1

Share |

Hanging Drywall in Basement

My basement is 9 feet - floor to joists. I want to only hang drywall 8 feet high so I can access and run plumbing and wiring more easily. Do I have to fasten a sheet of drywall on all four sides? In other words I will not hang the sheetrock all the way to the top plate on the steel stud framed walls. Is this OK or do I need to add a nailer at the 8 foot mark to fasten the drywall?

Last edited by slamseven; 02-26-2011 at 01:10 PM.
slamseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamseven View Post
My basement is 9 feet - floor to joists. I want to only hang drywall 8 feet high so I can access and run plumbing and wiring more easily. Do I have to fasten a sheet of drywall on all four sides? In other words I will not hang the sheetrock all the way to the top plate on the steel stud framed walls. Is this OK or do I need to add a nailer at the 8 foot mark to fasten the drywall?
The post is unclear, even after the, "In other words".
The sheetrock needs to be secured on all 4 side and the middle.
Are you asking if you need to install blocking at the top of the 8' wall? The answer is no as long as the studs are 16" on center.
Are you putting up a drop ceiling?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:09 PM   #3

Ron, thanks for the post.

Sorry if I was unlcear. Yes the studs are 16 inches, there will eventually be a drop ceiling and the sheetrock will be secured at all possibly studs (except for any blocking at the top). I was hoping I did not have to add the blocking at the top of the 8 foot wall.
slamseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamseven View Post
Ron, thanks for the post.

Sorry if I was unlcear. Yes the studs are 16 inches, there will eventually be a drop ceiling and the sheetrock will be secured at all possibly studs (except for any blocking at the top). I was hoping I did not have to add the blocking at the top of the 8 foot wall.
You can sheetrock the walls all the way up and place the ceiling runners at any height you want. I'd put the 1' piece at the bottom of the wall for ease of taping.
Ron.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote