Hanging Drywall Accurately - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

hanging drywall accurately

guys - I'm about to hang some drywall over a shower valve - the slower half sticks out of the wall a bit, the upper part does not. I'll need to cut two holes for both parts in two pieces of drywall. Any tips out there for cutting the holes in exactly the right spot?

Advertisement

mmhendrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:35 PM   #2
They're all fixer-uppers

Rewards Points: 500

Sure, numerous ones... some even involving lipstick! BUT BUT BUT, first lets find out why you are drywalling a shower... Are you just putting regular drywall in a shower stall or something?

Advertisement

J187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 01:59 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Drywall over the shower head is okay. Drywall in the shower is okay if you will be covering it with Kerdi or Noble or CS.. or some waterproofing membrane.
To make a cut actually measure it with a ruler. Mark a line on the wall above the center of the shower head and one to the side. Easier to see these lines then to see the center while trying to read the measuring tape. You could extend these lines with a level and then measure at both far ends to the top and to the sides of the wall or ceiling to see if you are dealing with a square or out of square piece of sheetrock. Now make the same marks and measurements on the piece to cut and you will get it right.
Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 91

great - thanks for the tips. Yes, I should have realized not giving details when saying "drywall" and "shower" would have raised a few alarm bells, but fear ye not, schluter shower kit with kerdi in tow!
mmhendrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 04:09 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,016

Quote:
Originally Posted by J187 View Post
Sure, numerous ones... some even involving lipstick! BUT BUT BUT, first lets find out why you are drywalling a shower... Are you just putting regular drywall in a shower stall or something?

I just had a laugh, because when I put up my drywall, I used lipstick......
A lovely hot red........
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote