Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Hanging doors on drywalled and finished opening

Hello i was wondering if anyone can help me. I am wandering if it is possible to hang french doors in the entrance of my living room, the opening has been fully drywalled already. Meanning there is corner bead and mud covering all corners making the width wider than a normal roughed in opening.

Can it be done? Anything special needs to be done?

Thx DK

dk_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

Measure the french door from outside to outside the jamb. Now add 1/2 inch. This is what you need to install it. If the opening has drywall on the inside edges and you have the room to install its fine, leave the drywall on it and go! Now if you measure the door and add 1/2 inch and find the opening is 1 inch or less short, then simply remove the drywall to expose the stude on the insides and install door. The key thing is you want 1/2 inch clearence so you can plumb the door. If the opening is too small even if you remove the sheetrock on the sides, then you need to have someone look at it because there is two 2x4's that hold up a header which carries the load above. If this header does not rest on a jack, then it could start to fall down. Not all at once, but over time and this would be bad for anything above as it would come down too.

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would help if you listed the dimensions of both the opening and the unit you want to install. That would be width, height and wall thickness of the opening. Also include the drywall thickness used.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 10:09 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Also consider the size of the casing you'll be using - if it will cover the gap. A jamb extension is usually needed because corner bead increases the wall thickness by approx. 1/4 - 3/8.
pavola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:01 PM   #5
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

My suspicion is that you will need to remove the corner beads and the drywally lining the inside of the opening, based on the idea that when most houses are framed some common dimensions are used. So if the plans called for a 4' cased opening, it would have been framed at 4' 3" to allow for the wood jambs. Even though it was finished as a sheetrock return, it most likely is framed to standard dimension RO, so leaving the existing sheetrock inside the opening will cause you to loose an inch of width, and probably make it too tight for a pair of doors and frame to fit in. After verifying the measurments, tapping on the corner bead with the claw of a hammer will cause the cormer bead bedding to crack, and fall off, revealing the metal bead, which you should be able to remove without damaging the walls. The new door casing should cover the unfinished drywall edges.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 11:53 PM   #6

I agree with you, troubleseeker, but he's saying the drywalled width is bigger than normal RO's, so then he'd probably want to leave the bead there unless he's using big casing.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for answering my question, thus far. The opening dimensions are as follow: W=62-1/8",H=81",T=4-11/16". 1/2" drywall was used.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:24 PM   #8

You're good to go with a 5 foot door on the width. The height is to short, so you'll have to trim the new doors and jamb to fit - not a big deal. Jambs are 4 9/16, so you could install flush on one side and add extensions to the other, or center them and let the casing toe-in slightly. If you're going with stain grade casing, I'd suggest using the extension method so the casing will be tight to the wall and the jamb. With paint grade, slight gaps can be caulked.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 PM   #9
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavola View Post
I agree with you, troubleseeker, but he's saying the drywalled width is bigger than normal RO's, so then he'd probably want to leave the bead there unless he's using big casing.
That's what happens when you try to read between the lines. I interpreted his "wider than normal" to mean that the wall was thicker than usual, since he was in the train of thought about the drywall beads and mud in place.

After seeing his dimensions, I agree with you. A 5' unit will fit right in the width, and leave the beads in place to prevent any ragged edges from not being covered by the door casing.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 12-30-2007 at 08:46 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 09:34 AM   #10

Thank you - this is actually EXACTLY what I was looking for. I know what I need to do with this doorway.

Cheers Everyone