Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #1

Share |

Hanging ceiling joists from the roof rafters?

I'm replacing the floor joists in my 2nd floor. After 100 years of slightly overspanned 12' 2x6's being used as an apartment they are severely bowed. I understand the 2nd floor ceiling (attic floor) joists provide support or keep the walls together. These are 2x4's that are tied together over a 24' span in the center by support walls. I'll be removing these walls as I go through and replace the floor joists. Can I hang/support these ceiling joists by tying them to the roof rafters? I can't imagine it putting that much stress on the roof structure. thanks much!!

Bonebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Can you take a picture or provide a sketch?

MJ Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Ouch! Scary.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #4

so let's see if I got this correct ...... you are removing all the floor joists for the 2nd floor and the interior walls on the 2nd floor and leaving the roof in place?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Supporting ceiling joists off rafters can somtimes be done in practice - but it depends.
In part it depends on the slope of your roof, the size and spacing of the rafters, and how many points you support the ceiling joists from. Also, the load stipulations of your local code.

This pic. shows an old house where the ceiling joists (2x3) are only supported off the rafters by flimsy strips of timber. But notice the slope of the roof (the steeper the better for support) and that the strips are nailed to the rafters very close to the main support purlins, so the rafters will not be overstressed.
Attached Thumbnails
Hanging ceiling joists from the roof rafters?-mini-st-werburghs-rd-loft-001.jpg  
tony.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
so let's see if I got this correct ...... you are removing all the floor joists for the 2nd floor and the interior walls on the 2nd floor and leaving the roof in place?
Yes and no...I'm removing them (real 2x6) and replacing them (2x8) one at a time to prevent disaster. They are joined in the middle (scabbed) over a newly installed double LVL beam at about 12' each for a total of 24 feet in length. I am removing about 8.5 feet of second floor subfloor at a time then replacing the joists one at a time and then putting in 3/4 TNG Sturdifloor.

I'll need to remove the walls that are upstairs that support the mid span scab of the 2nd floor ceiling(the attic floor) as these run perpendicular to the floor joists. The only weight the roof will be supporting will be the actual midspan connection weight of the ceiling joist.

thanks

Last edited by Bonebag; 05-16-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #7

just making sure ..... had me worried for a moment, could have just been the way I was reading it. didn't want you having a disaster

this is balloon framed?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GBrackins For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
just making sure ..... had me worried for a moment, could have just been the way I was reading it. didn't want you having a disaster

this is balloon framed?
Yes...

My Engineer friend told me I could remove every other attic/ceiling joist and not worry about the house coming apart. I plan to do that later and box them in and raise the ceiling in the second floor as it's really low.

But I'll need to support them a bit while I have the floor ripped out so I figured I could just hang them from the roof work.