Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Share |

Hanging a 150lb. 68" wall mirror.

Alright Guys/Gals

How is this done? I dont understand.... I can't use wire (as per instructions. My studs are 16 inches on center. That would put me at 64 inches. The spacing between the hangers is 68 inches.

Any ideas? Does anyone know of any hangers I can buy to mount this using the system supplied (the 2 hangers mounted on the mirror 68 inches apart and 150lb mirror)?

Thanks
luweee

Last edited by luweee; 01-15-2009 at 10:21 AM. Reason: add the weight of the mirror
luweee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Hanging a 150lb. 68" wall mirror.

I think this is going to be a do it yourself affair.

Get two pieces of sheet steel four inches wide by twelve inches high by 1/8 inch thick. (Or half inch plywood) Fasten these upright and flat on the wall and attached to the studs (not centered) so as to achieve support 68 inches apart. Use at least four screws at least 2-1/2 inches long per plate, two near the top of the plate and two near the bottom. Have holes or other treatment of the plates to receive the hangers of the mirror.

As I type this reply I see an ad on this website for supporting systems with horizontal metal bars. Each would have to be at least 20 inches long to span two studs behind the mirror and extend out a little to provide the support 68 inch apart. At least two screws have to go into the stud nearest each mirror hanger to fasten the bar to the wall.

Last edited by AllanJ; 01-15-2009 at 01:18 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote