Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Hang wall from floor joist

I have a bouncy floor (14'6" span with 2x8 joists on 1' centers).

One thing I am going to do (among others) is to attach a flat 2x4 to the bottom of each existing joist (sort of creating an up-side-down 'T' beam).

After reenforcing the floor, we are going to finish-in the basement underneath it. However, I am going to have to frame a box to hide air-ducts that run through this unfinished basement.

Is there any special way I need to attach the 2x4s to the floor joists such that I can attach framing that will hang off the 2x4s.

(Basically, I realized that if all I do is to nail the 2x4s to the studs by simplying nailing strait up, the friction in those nails is the only that that would be supporting the framing to attach to them later.)

HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
I have gas!

Rewards Points: 1,018

This might give you some other ideas for the bouncy floor.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021184090.pdf

Old 01-03-2010, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

If you are going to frame in a bulkhead around duck work then I would'nt use conventional 2x4 framing for it. I would rip plywood down to the the width of how far you want the bulkhead to drop down. Then I would nail some blocking between the joists and nail a 2x2 runner along the blocking to attach the plywood to. From this you can make a 2x2 ladder with the spreader rungs on 2 ft centers. Once you have this built then just nail this flush to the bottem of the plywood and level accross to the other side of the bulkhead and nail it. This is alot lighter then regular framing and the plywood is alot stiffer for the floor system. It also is alot easier
RobQuillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutchcargo View Post
This might give you some other ideas for the bouncy floor.
http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021184090.pdf
I've run across that artical, and I'm doing the solid blocking and sistering SOME of the joists (however, I'm sistering 2x8s with 2x10s). The joists not getting sistered is where I'm adding the 2x4 on the bottom of the joists.

That artical is where I also learned about palm nailers. I recently discovered a place called Harbor Freight Tools here in town that carries the palm nailers for about $40. It's working great, and given the price, if I have to throw it away after this job, it's still worth it.

Of course I love how there "simplified" articals never give you details to handle less than ideal conditions. In my case, floor joists that are not perfectly perpendicular to each other. Some of them are at small angles (less than 5 degrees) such that the top will have a slightly different spacing than the bottom.
HooKooDooKu is offline   Reply With Quote