Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2010, 01:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hairline cracks in new house foundation

I bought a house about 1.5 years ago, and I've noticed some hairline horizontal cracks in the concrete foundation above the ground level. Is there an easy way to fix these, and/or is this something I should be more concerned about. The house is brand new, was just built last year.

Jakra64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2

Hairline cracks in concrete, especially unreinforced concrete such as is typically used in foundations, are very common, and do not by themselves indicate any structural problems. If you are concerned about the cracks because they are cosmetically unappealing to you, there are products you can use to cover up the crack by filling them. Generally they reappear some time after treatment, often somewhere else.

Unless there is some other issue with the house, such as settlement, interior cracking, or an obvious out of level or plumb condition, I would leave the cracks alone.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 03:55 PM   #3

Ok. I was a little alarmed because I'm extremely paranoid about stuff with my new house. There may have been a little bit of settling within the house but no visible cracks on the interior of the house, just the small cracks on the exterior right above ground level.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:16 PM   #4

Perfectly normal for hairline cracks in the foundation like Dan says.
gjjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

To follow up, in addition to the hairline cracks I found a small piece of foundation that had broken off(almost like it had popped out, but still broken) of the exterior side in the middle of the side. It almost appeared as if there was something peeling right next to it. Again, all above ground level. Piece was small, could easily fit in my hand, and doesn't appear to be very deep. This is not near the other hairline cracks I saw. Is this still normal, or should I be concerned about this?

Inside the house no major cracks. I've seen a few tiny cracks in the drywall, but just small superficial ones. The only other thing I've noticed is that the drywall seams in the ceiling of our top floor are visible when we have the lights on at night.

Last edited by Jakra64; 08-29-2010 at 06:46 PM.