Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
DIY Enthusiast

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Hail damage roof and siding repair advice needed

We sustained roof and some siding damage in a recent hailstorm. Iíve had the insurance adjuster out and am waiting for his estimate. He indicated the whole roof would need replacement and that they may cover 2 sides of the house for siding (aluminum). Iíve also involved a local, reputable contractor who went over the entire house with the adjuster. The contractor says that for the cost of putting new aluminum on 2 sides of the house, he could do 3 sides in vinyl. That would leave an out-of-pocket expense of 1 side for us to cover the entire house in vinyl. The contractor is sending out his ďsiding guyĒ today to look things over.

Iím not too worried about the roof job as that seems to be pretty standard, but Iím a little nervous about switching from aluminum to vinyl siding. None of the exterior lights, hose bibs, receptacle boxes and vents have real mounting blocks- theyíre all somehow attached and caulked (or not) to the siding. Our house was built in í85 and is sheathed with Celotex Tuff-R so all of the nailing needs to be done on studs. Will the siding crew re-sheath small areas with wall penetrations with OSB to allow proper mounting block attachment? I assume all doors and windows that are caulked will now get J-channel. What other details should I be concerned with?

So thatís the situation. At this point, Iím hoping to hear from any of you that have been in a similar situation or have any words of advice to make this whole project go smoothly. Thanks in advance for your help!

Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:42 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 62

Have the contractor detail the scope of work. They will work with the insurance company for scope of work, and costs. Usually if it goes over, the insurance company will cut a check to them. Make sure you get everything in writing from the contractor, and plus go look at other properties that they have worked on and talk to the owners to find out how they felt on the work quality.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:48 AM   #3

where at are u in ne ohio i reside in huron county we also have had a ton of hail damage out our way. there are a few good companies out this way that i have seen do good work on my neighbors homes
rollinastang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
DIY Enthusiast

I'm in Northern Summit county. Regarding the payment- does the insurance company usually pay the contractor directly? When I filed my claim, they asked if I wanted a check or direct deposit, leading me to believe I was handling the money. If this were the typical case, I could see people making claims, collecting money and using it for other things other than repairs. I'll definitely have the scope in writing before anything gets started.
Ed G is offline   Reply With Quote