Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #1
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

Gypsum STC rating...

My munincipal code is requiring double layers of 5/8" gypsum on the inside of all exterior walls. They will allow a single layer of 5/8" if mounted on resilent channell.

Not wanting to do either, I am trying to find a product that has imperical data to back up its claims so as to make a case to the munincipality.

One such product I have heard of is quiet-rock, though I have no experience with it. Can anyone elaborate on brands that are available so I can research them, Thanks!

MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:58 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Gypsum STC rating...

As far as "acoustically rated" sheetrock goes, "Quiet Rock" ruled the market at a premium cost. The price range, per sheet, is dependant on the rating (they produce several different rated sheet types). It is not cheap. When I originally priced 5/8" 4x12 sheets for a large doctor's office wing at a hospital, about 2 years ago, there was only one supplier in my region, and those sheets were $160.00 per board. (I ran into a sales rep for "Quite Rock" early this year at a Builder's Trade show in my region, the ironic thing is that I couldn't get him to stop talking about his product - and be "quiet" - so I had to make an excuse to walk away after 10 minutes of listening to him ....)
Now, I know that the pricing has come done a bit, but it is still a premium price.
Link For Quiet Rock: http://www.quietsolution.com/html/quietrock.html

Now, on the other hand, a new contender has entered the market very recently (past several months). It is comparable to Q.R. with similar acoustic ratings and similar design. It is produced/marketed by National Gypsum. It is approximately 1/2 the price or less compared to Q.R.
Here is a link: http://www.nationalgypsum.com/products/product173.aspx

Last, if you want to get more information, you might want to contact a drywall supply company in your area and have them put you in touch with a manufacturer rep. Or you could try and contact a rep, or product technical advisor through the information on the web site links. FWIW: when we need more information from a manufacturer, we generally contact them via telephone and speak to their technical support. You can get ALOT of valuable information and a much better understanding about the workings of a company's products that way.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-27-2007 at 06:01 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote