Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

gutter spouts

What is the best kind to get for around the house? Right now I have the 4' black drain hose type.

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Electrical Enthusiast

gutter spouts

Could you post a photo?
If by "black drain hose" you mean these: (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=11)

These things work well,depending on how they are installed.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #3

gutter spouts

A local sump pump contractor was telling me that this work out best for my sump pump discharge pipe. Anyone have success with these?

2" blue flat / smooth hosing
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/p...413-c-8672.htm
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #4

gutter spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
A local sump pump contractor was telling me that this work out best for my sump pump discharge pipe. Anyone have success with these?

2" blue flat / smooth hosing
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/p...413-c-8672.htm
That's called layflat hose. The place I worked used lots of it in the military water treatment systems we manufactured, mainly because it's lighter and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space as other types of hose.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #5

gutter spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post

That's called layflat hose. The place I worked used lots of it in the military water treatment systems we manufactured, mainly because it's lighter and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space as other types of hose.
I used a hose clamp to tighten it to the discharge pipe. It fell off already when the sump pump was running. I'm afraid to make the hose clamp too tight because it might tear the hose right?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #6

gutter spouts

Anyone?
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7

gutter spouts

I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do. You say gutter spouts, but then are talking about a pipe from a sump pump. So do your gutter downpipes drain to a sump pit and you need to pipe out that water?

If this is the case then the layflat pipe will work, but with only 2" it could be a little restricted, after all it had a 4 inch corrugated pipe on it before right?.

If the pipe just fell off, then it probably isn't being attached to the right size adapter. It should be a tight fit to push on, then held on with clamp.

Anyway if you can explain a little more clearly what it is you are trying to do, then it may be easier to find a solution.
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #8

gutter spouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post
I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do. You say gutter spouts, but then are talking about a pipe from a sump pump. So do your gutter downpipes drain to a sump pit and you need to pipe out that water?

If this is the case then the layflat pipe will work, but with only 2" it could be a little restricted, after all it had a 4 inch corrugated pipe on it before right?.

If the pipe just fell off, then it probably isn't being attached to the right size adapter. It should be a tight fit to push on, then held on with clamp.

Anyway if you can explain a little more clearly what it is you are trying to do, then it may be easier to find a solution.
Sorry yes this is a different topic. I have a sump pump discharge pipe. I placed the lay flat hose over the discharge pipe but it fell off because I didn't tighten it. Because of the rubber material of the layflat hose I'm afraid to tighten it too much for obvious reasons. How far should I slip the lay flat pipe on over the discharge pipe?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #9

gutter spouts

Quote:
Sorry yes this is a different topic. I have a sump pump discharge pipe. I placed the lay flat hose over the discharge pipe but it fell off because I didn't tighten it. Because of the rubber material of the layflat hose I'm afraid to tighten it too much for obvious reasons. How far should I slip the lay flat pipe on over the discharge pipe?

That discharge attachment should have a sort of knurled end to grip the pipe. This is the closest I could find for a picture. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Su...0#.UZ6-m8oZ5BY

As long as the pipe is pushed all the way down on the attachment (usually about 1 inch) then there is no problem with tightening that clamp as hard as you can. It wont tear the lay flat pipe because it is just clamping it onto the discharge attachment.

Wait, different topic. So you are asking two questions here?
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #10

gutter spouts

Quote:

That discharge attachment should have a sort of knurled end to grip the pipe. This is the closest I could find for a picture. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Su...0#.UZ6-m8oZ5BY

As long as the pipe is pushed all the way down on the attachment (usually about 1 inch) then there is no problem with tightening that clamp as hard as you can. It wont tear the lay flat pipe because it is just clamping it onto the discharge attachment.

Wait, different topic. So you are asking two questions here?
So I slip the layflat on all the way over the discharge pipe or just a few inches ?
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #11

gutter spouts

Quote:
So I slip the layflat on all the way over the discharge pipe or just a few inches ?

I think we must be talking about two different things. The attachment I showed in that picture and any attachment, you should only be able to push it on an inch or inch and a half at most.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Might make things a bit clearer.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #12

gutter spouts

Quote:

I think we must be talking about two different things. The attachment I showed in that picture and any attachment, you should only be able to push it on an inch or inch and a half at most.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Might make things a bit clearer.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #13

gutter spouts

Oh whoa yes something totally different! lol

I'm not sure I'd want this as a permanent solution anyway. Do you really want to live with that pipe across your lawn?

What you need is a French drain. That way you can attach the proper 4in slotted corrugated pipe onto the end of your downpipe and into the ground and away.

here is an article showing the installation. http://www.ehow.com/how_7158489_buil...in-system.html
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #14

gutter spouts

Quote:

I'm not sure I'd want this as a permanent solution anyway. Do you really want to live with that pipe across your lawn?

What you need is a French drain. That way you can attach the proper 4in slotted corrugated pipe onto the end of your downpipe and into the ground and away.

here is an article showing the installation. http://www.ehow.com/how_7158489_buil...in-system.html
We live next to a street. There is a berm right there leading in the back of the spruces. This layflat relieves pressure from the sump pump vs the ribbed black hose that I used to have.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #15

gutter spouts

Quote:

What about PVC. If I have a 2' sump pump discharge would the PVC have to be 2 1/2 in?