Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Share |
Default

gutter spouts


What is the best kind to get for around the house? Right now I have the 4' black drain hose type.

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Electrical Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 725
Default

gutter spouts


Could you post a photo?
If by "black drain hose" you mean these: (http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=11)

These things work well,depending on how they are installed.

Kyle_in_rure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


A local sump pump contractor was telling me that this work out best for my sump pump discharge pipe. Anyone have success with these?

2" blue flat / smooth hosing
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/p...413-c-8672.htm
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 2,823
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
A local sump pump contractor was telling me that this work out best for my sump pump discharge pipe. Anyone have success with these?

2" blue flat / smooth hosing
http://www.menards.com/main/mobile/p...413-c-8672.htm
That's called layflat hose. The place I worked used lots of it in the military water treatment systems we manufactured, mainly because it's lighter and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space as other types of hose.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post

That's called layflat hose. The place I worked used lots of it in the military water treatment systems we manufactured, mainly because it's lighter and doesn't take up nearly as much storage space as other types of hose.
I used a hose clamp to tighten it to the discharge pipe. It fell off already when the sump pump was running. I'm afraid to make the hose clamp too tight because it might tear the hose right?
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Anyone?
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Queensland, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

gutter spouts


I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do. You say gutter spouts, but then are talking about a pipe from a sump pump. So do your gutter downpipes drain to a sump pit and you need to pipe out that water?

If this is the case then the layflat pipe will work, but with only 2" it could be a little restricted, after all it had a 4 inch corrugated pipe on it before right?.

If the pipe just fell off, then it probably isn't being attached to the right size adapter. It should be a tight fit to push on, then held on with clamp.

Anyway if you can explain a little more clearly what it is you are trying to do, then it may be easier to find a solution.
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post
I'm not really clear on what you are trying to do. You say gutter spouts, but then are talking about a pipe from a sump pump. So do your gutter downpipes drain to a sump pit and you need to pipe out that water?

If this is the case then the layflat pipe will work, but with only 2" it could be a little restricted, after all it had a 4 inch corrugated pipe on it before right?.

If the pipe just fell off, then it probably isn't being attached to the right size adapter. It should be a tight fit to push on, then held on with clamp.

Anyway if you can explain a little more clearly what it is you are trying to do, then it may be easier to find a solution.
Sorry yes this is a different topic. I have a sump pump discharge pipe. I placed the lay flat hose over the discharge pipe but it fell off because I didn't tighten it. Because of the rubber material of the layflat hose I'm afraid to tighten it too much for obvious reasons. How far should I slip the lay flat pipe on over the discharge pipe?
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Queensland, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
Sorry yes this is a different topic. I have a sump pump discharge pipe. I placed the lay flat hose over the discharge pipe but it fell off because I didn't tighten it. Because of the rubber material of the layflat hose I'm afraid to tighten it too much for obvious reasons. How far should I slip the lay flat pipe on over the discharge pipe?

That discharge attachment should have a sort of knurled end to grip the pipe. This is the closest I could find for a picture. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Su...0#.UZ6-m8oZ5BY

As long as the pipe is pushed all the way down on the attachment (usually about 1 inch) then there is no problem with tightening that clamp as hard as you can. It wont tear the lay flat pipe because it is just clamping it onto the discharge attachment.

Wait, different topic. So you are asking two questions here?
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post

That discharge attachment should have a sort of knurled end to grip the pipe. This is the closest I could find for a picture. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Flotec-Su...0#.UZ6-m8oZ5BY

As long as the pipe is pushed all the way down on the attachment (usually about 1 inch) then there is no problem with tightening that clamp as hard as you can. It wont tear the lay flat pipe because it is just clamping it onto the discharge attachment.

Wait, different topic. So you are asking two questions here?
So I slip the layflat on all the way over the discharge pipe or just a few inches ?
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Queensland, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by valpd View Post
So I slip the layflat on all the way over the discharge pipe or just a few inches ?

I think we must be talking about two different things. The attachment I showed in that picture and any attachment, you should only be able to push it on an inch or inch and a half at most.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Might make things a bit clearer.
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post

I think we must be talking about two different things. The attachment I showed in that picture and any attachment, you should only be able to push it on an inch or inch and a half at most.

Can you take a picture of it and post it? Might make things a bit clearer.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Northern Queensland, Australia
Posts: 17
Default

gutter spouts


Oh whoa yes something totally different! lol

I'm not sure I'd want this as a permanent solution anyway. Do you really want to live with that pipe across your lawn?

What you need is a French drain. That way you can attach the proper 4in slotted corrugated pipe onto the end of your downpipe and into the ground and away.

here is an article showing the installation. http://www.ehow.com/how_7158489_buil...in-system.html
roger_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post
Oh whoa yes something totally different! lol

I'm not sure I'd want this as a permanent solution anyway. Do you really want to live with that pipe across your lawn?

What you need is a French drain. That way you can attach the proper 4in slotted corrugated pipe onto the end of your downpipe and into the ground and away.

here is an article showing the installation. http://www.ehow.com/how_7158489_buil...in-system.html
We live next to a street. There is a berm right there leading in the back of the spruces. This layflat relieves pressure from the sump pump vs the ribbed black hose that I used to have.
valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Default

gutter spouts


Quote:
Originally Posted by roger_ View Post
Oh whoa yes something totally different! lol

I'm not sure I'd want this as a permanent solution anyway. Do you really want to live with that pipe across your lawn?

What you need is a French drain. That way you can attach the proper 4in slotted corrugated pipe onto the end of your downpipe and into the ground and away.

here is an article showing the installation. http://www.ehow.com/how_7158489_buil...in-system.html
What about PVC. If I have a 2' sump pump discharge would the PVC have to be 2 1/2 in?

valpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Attach gutter to "crown molding" or remove? rxb Roofing/Siding 6 11-01-2012 09:01 AM
Gutter installation questions Homerepairguy Roofing/Siding 7 03-15-2012 10:22 AM
Yankee gutter resurfacing options miamicuse Roofing/Siding 24 01-06-2012 08:20 AM
Gutter mounting options. Hidden hangar vs SnapLock vs ?? frascati Building & Construction 5 09-30-2011 11:14 AM
"Frozen" Gutter Leak cougar01 Roofing/Siding 19 02-10-2009 06:07 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.