Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2009, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Gutter screens..best for pine needles?

So Iíve been working on the basement renovation and with that comes water control. Iíve taken care of the sore spots outside the house but still have one issue to address.

I have 2 large pine tree that extend over the house. The gist of my water issue is all the pine needles and cones that end up plugging the gutters and down spots. I do not have screens over the gutter and the last owned tried using a screen that was install in the down spout inside the gutterÖwell that gets plugged about every rainfall.

So I know I can pretty much use any screen to keep the pine cones out but how about the needles ? Will any old screen work or is one better than another? Any other suggestion welcomes. I could remove one tree but the other is on the neighbors property

Thanks!!

monsterbash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #2
BIGRED

Rewards Points: 250

In your case I would recommend the 5" wide rolls of expanded gutter screens the entire length of your gutters. Then -and this will be a real pain, but it will keep the gutters and downspouts clear- figure out how many feet of gutter you are covering and cut enough 5" wide rolls of regular aluminum window screen out of a 3 foot wide roll of regular aluminum window screen and lay those strips on TOP of the gutter screens. A few needles may get caught, but knocking them off every 4-5 monthes is far better than cleaning plugged gutters every couple of monthes.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Actually that sounds like a great idea. I bought a 100' roll of screen to fix a couple screen doors the dog decide to go through and have a bunch left over.

Sounds like a nice little weekend project
monsterbash is offline   Reply With Quote