Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

Gutter mounting options. Hidden hangar vs SnapLock vs ??

I have no gutters currently. My roof is rectangular gabled. My fascia is 48 ft X 32 ft. I've gotten four quotes for 5 inch continuous gutter including two 3X4 downspouts.

First quote 700 dollars. Company not listed with the BBB. Teenager came in a beater truck to make the quote and offered nothing in writing... said he'd email it if i wanted. He did not know, nor could I find out subsequently what the gauge of material was.
Probably not allowed to name names here but this was a very well known outfit nationwide.

Third quote was 920 dollars. Respected local contractor with lots of commercial references and A+ BBB rating. .032 ga continuous 5 inch.

Second quote was between the two above, but using .027 ga and less well known contractor with little commercial experience/references.

Fourth quote was from another nationwide well known name specializing in leaf guard systems. .032 continuous 5 inch gutter. Snap Lock fastening system. Leaf guard system. Sounds great. But... wait for it...7400.00 dollars. Holy @#it. Minus the leaf guard system.... 3800.00 dollars. Minus the SnapLock system.... 1900.00 dollars.

All quoting contractors above were checked for insurance/bonding, warranty, etc and were comparable. The fourth quote offered essentially the same quality and content as the third, for 1000 dollars more. Easy choice.

However.... I really do like the idea of the SnapLock system for three reasons.

**It does not pierce the rear of the gutter at any point, eliminating potential leaks into the fascia/screws/fasteners.

**It separates the back surface of the gutter from the fascia board by about 1/4 inch preventing water from remaining trapped against the wood and promoting rot. This is especially important since my fascia is processed wood and prone, if the sealing layer is damaged, to absorb water.

**It allows a 50 ft run of continuous .032 inch gutter to expand and contract along its entire length without affecting the fasteners at all.

So, are there any alternatives anyone can suggest to this SnapLock system? I can find nothing online. It's a great idea, but as an option it is no more than a single narrow strip of extruded aluminum added behind the gutter combined with modified hangars for attachment. Approximately 150 dollars in additional material costs for the installer, quoted to me at 2900.00 dollars beyond my previously highest quote!!!!!

Last edited by frascati; 09-29-2011 at 03:01 PM.
frascati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

I don't have firsthand knowledge of the SnapLock gutters, but just checked out their webpage. Although I like the idea of the strip behind the gutter, what would worry me is the strength of those brackets that extend across the top of the gutter.

If those are aluminum and the same thickness as the similar brackets you get in the box stores, they will bend down very easily and your gutters will sag in the front. Or if a tree limb falls and bends the gutter slightly, you might not be able to fasten them back easily if they just snap under the edge of the gutter.

I would only consider that system if those brackets were much stronger or attached much better. Just giving you something to think about...

NancyNGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 12:19 AM   #3
JOATMON

I just removed a 37' section of gutter from the back of my house (started on a 2-story addition).

It was continous gutter....without the snap lock. Basically, they take the gutter and tuck it up under the drip edge...then screw it in.

I did not see ANY water damage where the screws were....and this is after 7 years of service.

If your roof was done right in the first place, there should not be any way for water to get up between the facia and gutter.

I would go with quote 2 or 3.....most likely 3 if the price between 2 & 3 is less than $100.

You do have a drip edge...right? If not, you need it....it will do more for protecting your facia than anything else.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 09:45 AM   #4

I pretty much agree with dawg, and would probably end up going with quote number 3. It's heavier teach material and the local supply both positives in my opinion. From what I've seen with gutters, the simpler hanging systems are much more dependable and have fewer problems in the long run so I wouldn't worry about the snaplock!
Msradell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #5

Thank you all. That's pretty much the conclusion i've come to after talking with the third contractor over the phone again and then looking at cross section illustrations on the web. I do have a drip edge. You're quite correct that if it's installed properly the drip edge should keep the water away from the screw head.

I was originally going to do this myself but the big-box store 10ft lengths are only .017 ga. I could have done it for about three hundred bucks, and it would have looked a mess. Having continuous delivered for my own installation was about 650. For an extra 270 dollars (920 third quote) I decided it was well worth having it done correct to plumb, someone else is up there on the tall ladders, and any subsequent problems are covered in a warranty.

Thanks for your input.
frascati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
JOATMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by frascati View Post

I was originally going to do this myself but the big-box store 10ft lengths are only .017 ga. I could have done it for about three hundred bucks, and it would have looked a mess. Having continuous delivered for my own installation was about 650. For an extra 270 dollars (920 third quote) I decided it was well worth having it done correct to plumb, someone else is up there on the tall ladders, and any subsequent problems are covered in a warranty.

Thanks for your input.
It cost me $800 for 150 of gutter and 4 downspouts......took the guys all of about 2 hours.....best $800 check I ever wrote.

You will not be sorry for going with seamless.....my wife and I walked the neighborhood before making a decision.....every house with the DIY gutter in sections looked like crap....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote