Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #1

Share |

Gutter and drainage for it

Not sure if this goes here or plumbing as it kind of fits both places...

I've heard both ways with hanging a gutter, got into it with a contractor over this also... should a gutter slope? I've seen codes that say 1/4" over 10 feet towards the drain... and others that say no keep it level water will find its way out... which is it?

also, gutter drainage, right now our gutters have teh downspouts to 4" corrugated PVC pipe in the ground... not sure why but the builder used perforated pipe... so the gutter is basically pointless? all its doing is redirecting the water to the foundation then letting it leak right into the gravel around it... ontop of that they ran the end of the line into a gravel pit i guess its called a drywell? well in the spring its like a well spring! it overflows, the town said the line was to be connected to the stormdrain system but the builder refused to and did this as an "alternative" well the negibors are complaining because the water runs down our hill right into their yard... I want to dig up this line and redo it, and was looking for guidence on how it should be done...

we have a tie in point with the town, which I want to tie into! I assume run non-perforated pipe from the houe to there.. how deep should a pipe like this be burried? the tie in point is only 1ft below ground... that was the township, not me... but the house is about 6ft above that point so there is a slope downward the entire way to the tie in point.

around the house, how deep sould the pipe be? frost line around here I believe is 3ft... I assume around the house it shouldn't of been perforated and to use solid pipe? this is not part of the drain tile system, that has its own line that is about 9ft below ground (below the slab) the gutter drain system is independent as far as I can tell

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
Not sure if this goes here or plumbing as it kind of fits both places...

I've heard both ways with hanging a gutter, got into it with a contractor over this also... should a gutter slope? I've seen codes that say 1/4" over 10 feet towards the drain... and others that say no keep it level water will find its way out... which is it?

also, gutter drainage, right now our gutters have teh downspouts to 4" corrugated PVC pipe in the ground... not sure why but the builder used perforated pipe... so the gutter is basically pointless? all its doing is redirecting the water to the foundation then letting it leak right into the gravel around it... ontop of that they ran the end of the line into a gravel pit i guess its called a drywell? well in the spring its like a well spring! it overflows, the town said the line was to be connected to the stormdrain system but the builder refused to and did this as an "alternative" well the negibors are complaining because the water runs down our hill right into their yard... I want to dig up this line and redo it, and was looking for guidence on how it should be done...

we have a tie in point with the town, which I want to tie into! I assume run non-perforated pipe from the houe to there.. how deep should a pipe like this be burried? the tie in point is only 1ft below ground... that was the township, not me... but the house is about 6ft above that point so there is a slope downward the entire way to the tie in point.

around the house, how deep sould the pipe be? frost line around here I believe is 3ft... I assume around the house it shouldn't of been perforated and to use solid pipe? this is not part of the drain tile system, that has its own line that is about 9ft below ground (below the slab) the gutter drain system is independent as far as I can tell
1/4 per ten foot is fine. as for tying in to the sewer main you better have a permit. But the code for that is 1/4 per foot grade.

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
1/4 per ten foot is fine. as for tying in to the sewer main you better have a permit. But the code for that is 1/4 per foot grade.
no, this isn't into a sewer main, that is not allowed, this is into a storm water drainage system the township put in just for this reason... its just waiting to be connected into when I get this part replaced
Old 03-26-2012, 05:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneb12 View Post
I had Mastershield gutter guards installed and as far as I am concerned, it's optimum angle is between 22.5 and 75.0 degrees
Spam?...