Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Gutter Downspouts

I see now that there are plastic gutter downspouts and fittings as options.

What's the benefit of plastic vs. aluminum besides not having to crimp? Do all joints need a seal and screws?

Also, is it not a big deal to mix and match?

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

Gutter Downspouts

The big benefit of plastic... does not dent like AL.

never did the mix and match thing

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:06 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Gutter Downspouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
I see now that there are plastic gutter downspouts and fittings as options.

What's the benefit of plastic vs. aluminum besides not having to crimp? Do all joints need a seal and screws?

Also, is it not a big deal to mix and match?
Are you talking about Gutter systems as a whole, or just downspouts?

As far as plastic vs. aluminum: We have installed plastic gutter systems with plastic downspouts and had nothing but problems with them. Particularly at the seams. I would never, ever use them again, nor recommend them to anyone.

On the other hand, seamless aluminum gutters and aluminum downspouts have been completely problem free.

We use a gutter supply company. We contact them, and give them the address .....with the lengths and materials we want.
They come out to the property. Roll out our seamless gutter lengths. They leave the parts we need; anchors, downpsout sections, brackets, endcaps, elbows, sealant, etc.

We install the system = Can't get simpler than that.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-16-2008 at 09:11 PM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:39 PM   #4

Gutter Downspouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Are you talking about Gutter systems as a whole, or just downspouts?

As far as plastic vs. aluminum: We have installed plastic gutter systems with plastic downspouts and had nothing but problems with them. Particularly at the seams. I would never, ever use them again, nor recommend them to anyone.

On the other hand, seamless aluminum gutters and aluminum downspouts have been completely problem free.

We use a gutter supply company. We contact them, and give them the address .....with the lengths and materials we want.
They come out to the property. Roll out our seamless gutter lengths. They leave the parts we need; anchors, downpsout sections, brackets, endcaps, elbows, sealant, etc.

We install the system = Can't get simpler than that.
I was mainly asking about the plastic gutter downspouts and elbows/fittings. They seem more available than aluminum elbows.

In fact, I wonder if an aluminum "double elbow" is available, or do two single elbows need to be joined.

How often do outside mitre seams need to be resealed? My house is 10 years old and it seems that the inside strip miter seams are dripping a bit of water during rains.

Also, is there a difference between gutter sealant (e.g. Henry) vs. a good waterproof caulk?

Last edited by handy man88; 09-17-2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #5

Gutter Downspouts

Another question:

If you have corrugated piping connected to your downspouts and run underground, is it a good idea to put strainers on your downspout to prevent leaves from clogging your corrugated piping?

I've seen instances where strainers can get really clogged, with sludge or leaves, but it does prevent leaves/maple seeds from getting into the downspouts.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #6
the Musigician

Gutter Downspouts

i would certainly think so, as cleaning buried stuff could be a real pain in the...... how does everyone feel about the 'gutter helmet' type screens? i've seen lots of mixed reviews on them, but sure could use something like them when i do my new gutters. pros and cons guys?

DM

DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote