Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2011, 08:09 AM   #1

Share |

Guidance replacing one section of driveway

The end section of our driveway closest to the street has split in many directions and is sinking in the middle. When it rains its a lake, and in the winter its an ice-covered lawsuit waiting to happen. Section is 11'x11'.

Construction buddies are prodding me to do it myself. This is one of the few areas of building that I haven't taken on and don't know what to expect for cost or materials. I can't imagine it would be cost effective to have a truck deliver the concrete just for this area, and mixing that many bags seems insane.

Yesterday I spoke to a neighbor who looked like she was prepping to have her driveway removed. I figured I'd call the company and see what they'd charge just to knock out my tiny job while they're 5 houses down anyway; answer was way over what I expected to hear.

Is it something suitable for a DIY project?

Last edited by moneymgmt; 05-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #2

Let me rephrase, i'm not looking for bid help. Just to know how much tooling and budget is involved with replacing the single section on my own. Thanks all!

Old 05-16-2011, 01:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
The end section of our driveway closest to the street has split in many directions and is sinking in the middle. When it rains its a lake, and in the winter its an ice-covered lawsuit waiting to happen. Section is 11'x11'.

Construction buddies are prodding me to do it myself. This is one of the few areas of building that I haven't taken on and don't know what to expect for cost or materials. I can't imagine it would be cost effective to have a truck deliver the concrete just for this area, and mixing that many bags seems insane.

Yesterday I spoke to a neighbor who looked like she was prepping to have her driveway removed. I figured I'd call the company and see what they'd charge just to knock out my tiny job while they're 5 houses down anyway; answer was way over what I expected to hear.

Is it something suitable for a DIY project?
You would need knowledged help to do this. Builcing forms is the easy part. Is the base adequate? Can you bull float a slab? Do you know when to stop bull floating it? Edge it?
Get some help from the "construction buddies".
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Next Time...New Build

If you have some knowledgeable people around you, it can be done. Being a smaller pour, approximately 1.5 yds, could be done on a Saturday morning. Have one of your buddies find a good finisher and away you go.

Finishing is an art, get someone who knows it.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #5

we're doing 1 about the same size next wk for $ 1,100 incl removal, disposal, concrete, placing, & finishing 'cept its 5" thick,,, that's cheap but we're also tearing out & replacing 153 sy just down the street.

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:35 AM   #6

Here's a picture. One of the broken pieces in the middle has a good 2" rock back and forth when you stand on it (or drive over it). This slab is basically sunken in the middle. Yes, 1.5yds, thinking I may tackle this with some friendly assistance just to gain another DIY skill. I wish I could patch it but I think that's a very short term band-aid.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Can you do it yourself? Yes, you probably can. But, you need a place to get rid of the existing concrete, as well as the bad soil/gravel mix you're bound to find under it. You will need to dig this soil out until you get to solid ground. That could easily be a few yards of hard, heavy digging.

You will also want to talk to the local authorities to see if there is any other requirements from them.

As for the concrete itself, there's no way I would attempt to mix that myself in your climate. Winter will not be friendly to a DIY concrete mixture in your region. Ready-mixed concrete will stand up far better, but it's not going to be cheap for a small pour. Here, you'd be looking at about $300 or so between the concrete, short load (cartage) charge, Saturday charge, potential overtime charges, taxes, enviro fees, etc.....
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:42 AM   #8

Is the broken slab an inspection/code issue?
Old 05-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #9

This may be a candidate job for a u-pull-it concrete in a trailer. Might need two trailers.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:41 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymgmt View Post
Is the broken slab an inspection/code issue?
That's a great question to ask your municipality, seeing as it very well could be in the right away. Here, some require a permit while many do not.

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote